old kit turned out good

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up an old WE chardonnay kit, I mean it was brown when I poured it. I gave it a shot anyway used Polyclar and French oak chips and bentonite and it cleared up very well and right now is about 2 months post ferment and tastes very good, good fruit good acid good tannins. I think I'll leave it alone for a year and it should be very good. So, just wanted to say sometimes old kits are worth making.

It is usually a long shot but sometimes works. I have a wine going that I am calling my "Low Expectations Malbec" that I made from canned concentrate from Williams Brewing that got stuck in the back of my shelf. The wine had a decidedly brown color when I started and I added a can of blackberries and some other goodies such as currants, raisins, oak, etc. It started out pretty bad and looked like it was destined for "burial at sea" but last taste was not too bad. I am going to continue to play with it and see what happens. Worst case would be 5 gallons of red wine vinegar.

Latest posts

Back