Old Cider Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS

Reaction score
I have access to what appears to be a pre 1900 Superior Drill Co. Cider mill and press. It is a two bucket configuration and looks as though it has never been used with probably 95% of the original finish intact. My questions is this, can this press be used for grapes as well as apples?

Thanks.

Most likely. All you need to do is gently press the grapes. For the reds you will want the juice to maintain contact with the skins for awhile.

I use a press for everything except grapes. I buy the juice already pressed.

Can you take a pic of it? Would love to see it. I dont really know what it looks like so cant advise on it.

I don't have any pictures of the actual press, but this one is just like it, only a little worse for wear.

cider press.jpg

A friend owns the press in question and we are currently in barter negotiations. He doesn't like to sell, but loves to trade. Any thoughts on value for a pristine 1880's cider press?

Ive seen them on Ebay for around $00 or more for ones in that shape there in the pic and dont see why you could use it for grapes also but the crusher might be a little loose for grapes meaning they may not get crushed as much due to the sife of grapes compared to apples but not sure if this was designed with that purpose also.

Is that a crusher/press combo? I have seen those before - some posted for $250 up to $500.

I have a very old crusher i recently bought - i used it for my apples, strawberries, and grapes. Works very well.

If is has a crusher with it - what type of teeth does it have? Are they more of a blade or gear looking assembly?

The older ones usually have more of a gear assembly look - that's the way mine is - and it does really well.

The "mill" portion has more of a geared crusher than teeth. I have also been able to gather a little more information on this press. It has been in the same little community in Arkansas for over 100 years. The farm family that originally owned the press did in fact use it to press their grapes and muscadines for their wine. It was purchased from the original owner by my friends grandfather when they stopped making wine. I guess that answers my question as to whether or not it could be used on grapes. I will try and get some pictures posted next week if possible.

Thanks for your comments.

Last edited:
I too have access to a press much like that. In addition to apples, we use it on our pears and also press Elderberries with it.
Brad

I was able to get a few pictures of the press. It is even better than I had expected. All that really needs to be done to it is tighten up a few bolts, hose it off, check for any critters living in it and start using it.
SSCN0578.JPG
SSCN0579.JPG
SSCN0580.JPG

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks.

I don't think I could turn this press into a display item. Not while there's so many grapes to crush and so little time to do it in. We have several vineyards in Arkansas that offer grapes, muscadines and scuppernongs for sale to the general public as well as numerous mom and pop orchards and vinyards. There is no shortage of fresh fruit around here and around September and October I plan on putting this relic to good use. I am very lucy in that I have friends in all the right places. One works for one of the aforementioned wineries, another for a bottled water distributor (free glass carboys!!) and last but not least, the friend who is willing to trade his press. Life is good.

Apple presses do indeed work for grapes. I used mine for both for a number of years until I bought a number 45. The cusher might not be good for grapes since it might crush the seeds and extract too many tannins.

Nice press.

It is the size of a grape press, they range from 20-45 in 5 increments. I will be very honest and say I have no clue what the numbers stand for.

Well it's official. I am the proud new owner of this fine old press. Hope to pick it up this weekend and clean it up a little. Time is a problem though, since I just heard from my dear old dad that the mulberries are dropping off of the trees in North Arkansas and I would be remiss in my duties if I didn't go pick a few gallons of them.

Those mullberries should be almost ready here also so I better go check on them this weekend! Great score on that press!

Latest posts

Back