Old Cider Press

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"until I bought a number 45"

What is this number 45 you speak of?

It is the number of the press as determined by the diameter of the basket.
45 cm = 18 inch diameter basket. It holds 25 gallons in the basket. You can press about 150-200 pounds of red grapes in one pressing.

cider press for grapes

I have access to what appears to be a pre 1900 Superior Drill Co. Cider mill and press. It is a two bucket configuration and looks as though it has never been used with probably 95% of the original finish intact. My questions is this, can this press be used for grapes as well as apples?

Thanks.
I have an identical press that I just last fall rebuilt for apples. I was told that the adjustment on one of the shafts was to allow you to open up the gap between the grinders so that the grape pits aren't crushed. adjust just wide enough for the pits to pass through.
For apples adjust as close as possible without rubbing metal to metal.

jimatcanby,

Thanks for the info. I have been cleaning the press up a little, it really didn't need much, and learning how it works. It really is in remarkable shape for something this old. It still has a lot of the original painted decorations on the wooden hopper, and decorative pin striping and what looks like a red wash on the legs. Can't wait until the muscadine harvest gets here. I think I'll have to try some apples as well.

I just found a press exactly like this, same company and configuration in an old barn today! Would love any information you might have found on it.

lborr8,

I wasn't able to find much info on this old press. I did find the attached page from an old reference book. The 1887 advertising plate shown in the upper left is the press that I have. Although the press shown is from P.P. Mast & Co., the description goes on to say that the same engraving was depicted a year later in an advertisement for a press made by the Superior Drill Co., also of Springfield, Ohio. My press was made by the Superior Drill Co., and appears to have been made in 1888, which fits with the description.

GTS

View attachment Old Press.pdf

A fella I know has one of these, although he reconditioned it a bit.

He exchanged the "fly-wheel" with a pully and installed an electric motor with a fan belt to save our poor old arms.

This cider press works great for apples, pears, or any "non-stone" fruit. I would, however, avoid using the grinder portion when processing grapes. The grinder is exactly that, a grinder. This is not the best thing for grapes where grinding will cause a much higheer level of tannins in the finished wine.

I would smoosh them separately and then use the presses only.

Does anyone know the best way to clean and sanitize an old apple press so that it can be used.

Does anyone know the best way to clean and sanitize an old apple press so that it can be used.

After scrubbing it down I would use Master Kleen Plus that you get from Presque Isle Wine Cellars. It is chlorine based and used outdoors. It's a foam cleaner that will cling on and work at sanitizing your equipment. I use it everyday for sanitizing equipment on the press pad. Rinse off good with a blast from the hose.

I also just found this press! The only problem with mine is that the handle is broken off and missing. I have only the small cast iron piece that screws on the shaft. I thought I could weld a new handle onto a nut if I could find the right size nut, unfortunately its a random 3/4 inch and roughly 9 threads per inch which seems impossible to find. Anyone know of any ideas to get a operating handle on this old guy?

Thanks!

I also just found this press! The only problem with mine is that the handle is broken off and missing. I have only the small cast iron piece that screws on the shaft. I thought I could weld a new handle onto a nut if I could find the right size nut, unfortunately its a random 3/4 inch and roughly 9 threads per inch which seems impossible to find. Anyone know of any ideas to get a operating handle on this old guy?

Thanks!
no,, but look around where some old tractor junk iron parts are laying around to find that 9 to 1 nut,, might help you a little

Back