Okay, yeah so I know it's supposed to age

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

English

Reaction score
Okay, yeah so I know it's got to age. Bottled my first batch last Tuesday, set a bottle aside with a vacuum cork in it for sampling. So here's the deal, I'm impatient, so I tried a little last night just to see if I had done any good. It's a Pinot Char, from Cal. Con. Looks great, taste kind of bland though, watery if that makes sense, very little mouth feel and just a touch off dry. I'm really hoping that this will change with time. Am I in too big of hurry? Will this kit get much better with age? I've got a batch of Merlot in the primary now..

"Bottle Shock" After bottling, wine can go into shock, sometimes taking 4 to 6 weeks to recover.
Dave

Bottle shock: Yeah I have heard that mentioned before, guess I just didn't know what to expect. I mean the wine was pretty decent the day I bottled it, but last night it was just kind of wierd tasting. Guess I better leave it alone for a while and crack open a few bud lights instead.:D

Yep, thats bottle shock. Great at bottling, kinda poor a few days later. Getting better in 2-3 weeks (or more) hopefully.

Cal Conn kits (esp whites) are usually pretty good after a month in bottle.

Steve

Last edited:
Dave, Steve,

Thanks for giving me some hope.. I guess I'm going to have to settle for some store bought wines until this stuff get old enough to drink. Glad it won't have to be 21 yo for that. :)
Think I'll head off to the basement to check on my merlot and maybe put the shrink caps on my white.

Latest posts

Back