Okay to mix red and green grapes ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirknotes

Reaction score
My friend has about 50 lbs of red and green grapes we will be harvesting this weekend...does it work well to mix them together to make one single batch of wine - or should we separate them?

Generally I would separate them.

That's not many grapes however. So your answer would depend on what sort of grapes they are, what kind of wine you are after, and what sort of equipment you have on hand (carboy sizes, etc).

ok - great - thank you for the input. Looks like we might just do the green grapes in a couple weeks,

Is there anything different for doing the fermentation of the green grape variety as opposed to the red grapes?

My friend has about 50 lbs of red and green grapes we will be harvesting this weekend...does it work well to mix them together to make one single batch of wine - or should we separate them?

If they are wine grapes, consider combing them and making a rose.

H

What type of grapes are these? Calabria known for mixing red and white together in their wines

It used to be required for Chianti to have some white grapes (>10% Malvasia Bianca, if memory serves) to meet the DOC specs. That is no longer the case, though.
In the Northern Rhone region, it is common/traditional to use some Viognier in with Syrah. I will admit that I do not know if those cases were cofermented or not, but I think they were.

Latest posts

Back