Quantcast

Okay to mix red and green grapes ?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

kirknotes

Reaction score
My friend has about 50 lbs of red and green grapes we will be harvesting this weekend...does it work well to mix them together to make one single batch of wine - or should we separate them?

Stressbaby

Just a Member
Reaction score
Generally I would separate them.

That's not many grapes however. So your answer would depend on what sort of grapes they are, what kind of wine you are after, and what sort of equipment you have on hand (carboy sizes, etc).

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
for 50lbs go ahead and ferment together.

kirknotes

Reaction score
ok - great - thank you for the input. Looks like we might just do the green grapes in a couple weeks,

Is there anything different for doing the fermentation of the green grape variety as opposed to the red grapes?

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
What are the grape varieties? I can’t imagine blending a bold red variety (Merlot, Cab Sauv, Malbec) with any white and fermenting both together. Frankenwine?

BigH

Reaction score
My friend has about 50 lbs of red and green grapes we will be harvesting this weekend...does it work well to mix them together to make one single batch of wine - or should we separate them?
If they are wine grapes, consider combing them and making a rose.

H

joeycannoli

Reaction score
What type of grapes are these? Calabria known for mixing red and white together in their wines

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
It used to be required for Chianti to have some white grapes (>10% Malvasia Bianca, if memory serves) to meet the DOC specs. That is no longer the case, though.
In the Northern Rhone region, it is common/traditional to use some Viognier in with Syrah. I will admit that I do not know if those cases were cofermented or not, but I think they were.

Latest posts