Okay fruit flies are driving us crazy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirknotes

Reaction score
Fruit flies everywhere?

How do you get rid of these? They are filling up the kitchen corner where I am fermenting a new must and two carboys.

Let them land and then vacume as many as possible may take few hrs or days but you will get the bulk if em lol, do not leave anything uncovered big enough for them to reach the batch, (I have wrapped air locks with plastic wrap and poked smaller holes so they wouldn't get in and it still can vent) then take a few small containers add Apple cider viniger and a small drop or two of dish soap (i prefer un scented but anything in a bind works) it will attracted them they will fly in and get stuck and drowned empty every few days, just place them around that room it works just mite take a few days

Red wine works with the traps too - add a few drops of dish soap. I take an empty water bottle, cut the top off and place it back on inverted. Creates a funnel into the trap that makes it hard (if not impossible) for them to get out - even if they can still fly. Here's an example:

DIY-fruit-fly-trap-225x300.jpg

Last edited:
I use a jar 1/4 filled with red wine or apple cider vinegar(they love both) cut and tape a piece of paper into a funnel with a little hole on the bottom, put it on top of the jar, the walk in and cant get out. Basically same idea as boatboys idea.

I make a spray with 4-6 drops peppermint oil, 6-8 oz water and a drop of regular Dawn.
It works! Smells good too.
Apart from this, I have also had some success with yeast traps, more info here.
Hope this helps :h

Latest posts

Back