OK, Who's Hoarding Gasoline?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
53% of gas stations here in Virginia are dry today. Glad I just heard the Colonial pipeline is back online.

Still half of the stations in VA are empty. I heard this morning that 80% of the stations in DC are dry and 40% in Maryland. I was able to gas up this morning (thank you, GasBuddy) at $2.99/gal. I was down to about 2+ gallons in the tank.

A lot of stations are expecting deliveries in the next 2-3 days, fortunately.

Raleigh has been as bad as NVA in terms of stations closed, and line-ups where gas is available -- my brother lives west of DC, and we compare notes. Some chains in Raleigh limit purchases to 15 gallons to slow down the hoarding.

Regarding people using plastic bags and stuff as containers? I'm all for it! Darwin for the win!

Here in Ohio there is no shortage of gas. Filled up yesterday at Walmart for $2.78/gal. Good luck to all of you in the "dry" states. ........... DizzyIzzy

Finally found a place that sales E85, 2.45 a gal. As for the hording, We will continue to see this as long as people have no faith in the government, and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Finally found a place that sales E85, 2.45 a gal. As for the hording, We will continue to see this as long as people have no faith in the government, and I do not see that happening anytime soon.
Are you suggesting that it's the government's fault that a private business failed to adequately invest in securing its network against hacking?

Or maybe you are suggesting the government should regulate security patching and processes for private businesses?

As an IT security professional, I see the challenge to get business leaders to invest in security, because it's expensive and it's harder to show a decent ROI ... until your company gets shut down for days because someone clicked on the wrong email. It's an arms race against hackers who get funded by ransomware attacks like what hit the pipeline company.

Here's some free IT security advice - always keep your computers, tablets, network equipment, security cameras, and anything else in your home or business patched and up to date with supported operating systems, software, and firmware. And keep up to date with phishing techniques so you can recognize and avoid clicking on phishing emails which can compromise your computer and network in minutes. And if you run a business, make sure you have at least annual training for all employees on your security policies and best practices.

And if you run a business, make sure you have at least annual training for all employees on your security policies and best practices.
My employer mandates security training courses on a regular basis, at least one per quarter, including topics such as physical building penetration. As an IT guy, I find most of it repetitious, but repetition is needed to deeply instill good habits. We generally hire good people, but I'm sure there are a few who would put an open bucket of gasoline in the back of their SUV ....

Plus, on occasion, I learn something new.

Like @Jovimaple , I am confused as how you think the government factors into this?? :?

My employer mandates security training courses on a regular basis, at least one per quarter, including topics such as physical building penetration. As an IT guy, I find most of it repetitious, but repetition is needed to deeply instill good habits. We generally hire good people, but I'm sure there are a few who would put an open bucket of gasoline in the back of their SUV ....

Plus, on occasion, I learn something new.
We have annual training and then monthly phishing "campaigns" where the recipient gets a "kudos to you" message if they correctly identify that an email (sent by someone in our company specifically for this purpose) is a phishing email.

Last week I attended a 2 day security seminar and some of the stories told in the sessions had me shaking my head at the ease at which organizations can get compromised if they fail to take basic steps like stop using 10 year old, unpatched software and operating systems. Anddddd clicking on suspicious emails and then sending those emails to an entire department. Boom, instant widespread hack.

I am hoping this was a prank and not real (image attached)
Do the hoarders realize they are the ones causing the shortage? If everyone just does their normal thing you probably wouldn't run out?

Attachments

• 9cvy4dzzqbx61.jpg
    9cvy4dzzqbx61.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back