Ok to Bottle???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have made a few kit wines but this is our first attempt at a fruit from scratch. Here is what we have done so far for a 5gal batch.
20lbs frozen tart cherrys
6lbs sugar
15oz raisins
5 campden tabs
1 tbs Petic enzyme
1 tbs Yeast Energizer
5 tsp acid blend

unthawed & mashed cherrys, & mixed all of the above in primary
starting sg 1.086
next day added Montrachet Yeast

Racked to secondary 6 days later

10 days later sg.994
6 days later sg.994
racked, added 2 campdon tabs & super-kleer

that was 10 days ago and it is "SUPER CLEAR"

We had several recipes combined into this, but only one had the super-kleer and it said after 7-10 days it was ready to bottle.

So my question is, it is ok to backsweeten & bottle now???

Last edited:
You will need to add kmeta and sorbate prior to back sweetening to prevent fermentation from starting up. After stabilizing as above you can back sweeten. I would then allow this to bulk age several months prior to bottling. I'm sure more experienced members will be along soon.

I guess that was one of my questions also, what is the difference to the wine of bulk aging as opposed to aging in the bottle????? In my (unknowing mind) it seems that if it is done fermenting and cleared it would be the same???? But I really do not want to screw it up after getting this far...............

Last edited:
I guess that was one of my questions also, what is the difference to the wine of bulk aging as opposed to aging in the bottle????? In my (unknowing mind) it seems that if it is done fermenting and cleared it would be the same???? But I really do not want to screw it up after getting this far...............

Wade recently posted something to this point that I'd never considered. The info he was speaking of mentioned it taking time for elements to actually match up that will make up the end result of your wine.

What I took from this was that bulk aging will make all bottles have the same makeup.....if you bottle too quickly they might become different things...or different in body and flavor.

Just my thoughts....I generally like to age in carboy at least a few months...(never made it past 5 yet though) before I bottle.

You might think it's clear but it's not.
Give it lots of time in the carboy. You'll not regret letting it sit there and be surprised at the fine sediment still dropping.

The other 1/2 of my team has only about 2 of the 3 "P"s mentioned a lot here and I learned a long time ago that if "mama's not happy nobodys happy", so we racked, added sorbate (2 1/2tsp) & 2 crushed campdens, & ended up using 1/2 cup grape juice concentrate & 1/2 cup sugar. It got the SG to 1.000 and the taste is pretty good with a bit of tartness, but I talked her into sticking the bubbler back on for a couple weeks to make sure we like the sweetness.

Last edited:
It s a good idea to keep the wine in a carboy after sweetening at least for few weeks to make sure fermentation doesn't start. If you get some bad or old Sorbate it may start up again. Better to be safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back