Ok to bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmix

Junior
Reaction score
I have 2x 15 litre demi johns of apple wine that have ceased fermenting, its actually been about 4 months its ceased... Ive racked it twice in the course of fermentation, on the second racking there was absolutely no way of getting rid of any more sediment. anyways,

I was wondering if the fact that they have been sitting there for a few months with an airlock on them, meant I could bottle them now...on the recipie it said rack 3 times, with one month interval between each...(as I said earlier there was no need for the 3rd) I mean could it be too LATE to bottle them? And I read that the colour of the bottles doesnt affect anything, as long as they are kept in the dark, so I'll use transparent ones, to apreciate the colour. can I reuse corks from bought red wine if I clean and then sterilise them? maybe that would spoil the taste a little.

You only racked twice? If thats the case I would rack again before bottling. Have you tasted it yet? I would not bottle unless YOU tasted it and you liked it. Did you back sweeten? Did you make a f-pac? Do you have a filter?
My fruit wines are racked more than 2X and usually bottle in 6 months min..

You only racked twice? If thats the case I would rack again before bottling. Have you tasted it yet? I would not bottle unless YOU tasted it and you liked it. Did you back sweeten? Did you make a f-pac? Do you have a filter?
My fruit wines are racked more than 2X and usually bottle in 6 months min..

On the second racking there was maybe a few milimeters of sediment that got disturbed when trying to get out the last of the wine... really doesnt seem like theres any sediment left. so I dont see what racking again would do, seeing as I wont be able to get any sediment out. In any case when I siphon it to bottles, that will be another racking or doesnt that count? plus if there was a tiny amount left in the bottom, that would only end up in the last bottle or so I supose.
Yes I tasted it the last time I racked and it tasted good to me!
What is back sweetening? and whats an f-pac? I have a muslin bag, are you saying I can use that to seperate sediment? or use it when I bottle?
Thanks

If there is anything on the bottom it will be stirred up when bottling. There should be nothing on the bottom. I would not bottle from this carboy. Rack it again to bottle.
Muslin bag? For what? Time and clearing agents will clear your wine as well as racking.
Back sweetening adds sweetness
F-pac adds flavor
Do a search here as there is plenty of talk on these 2 subjects.

Back