OK. Time for some direction. Advice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are making wine over nice floors? A quick hint, put a pan of some kind under all your carboys. Not for if they overflow but when. A big plastic bag works too, just sit the carboy on it and kinda pull it up a little around it. Arne.

I have engineered hardwood. It takes a beating, but I am going to heed this advice. Maybe one of those 1 inch deep plastic mats for snowy boots.

I already blew up a gallon of Skeeter Pee. It took off faster than a nest of angry hornets. In the drawers. on the floor. I was expecting a foam up, but whoooie, that ones volitile.

Is it much of a concern for bulk aging, or just during fermentation?

Is it much of a concern for bulk aging, or just during fermentation?
All the time. During fermentation and during outgassing the wine can overflow, as it can if the secondary container is too full and the wrong combination of pressure and temperature changes alters the wine volume.

Outside of that -- user error! There are 2 types of winemakers: 1) those who have overflowed a carboy (or other container) during racking, and 2) those who will overflow a carboy.

Since you asked the question, you must be in Group #2 and are awaiting your turn! 😂

All the time. During fermentation and during outgassing the wine can overflow, as it can if the secondary container is too full and the wrong combination of pressure and temperature changes alters the wine volume.

Outside of that -- user error! There are 2 types of winemakers: 1) those who have overflowed a carboy (or other container) during racking, and 2) those who will overflow a carboy.

Since you asked the question, you must be in Group #2 and are awaiting your turn! 😂

Not a carboy yet, but the gallon was enough to get my attention. I was smart enough to cover it with my hand to make sure I sprayed it on the walls too. It would be horrific with a red.

I am no longer considering bulk aging in the guest bedroom carpeted closet! It's where I stuck my bottle rack, but I think I may find another location for that as well.

So much to consider. I am beginning to see the convenience of a basement.

Not a carboy yet, but the gallon was enough to get my attention. I was smart enough to cover it with my hand to make sure I sprayed it on the walls too. It would be horrific with a red.

I am no longer considering bulk aging in the guest bedroom carpeted closet! It's where I stuck my bottle rack, but I think I may find another location for that as well.

So much to consider. I am beginning to see the convenience of a basement.
"Honey, I know we really love this house, but, sorry, we have to move again."

I took Winemaker81's advice and racked my kits to a carboy with enough head space for additives. I started the kits on the fifth and racked them once the bulk of fermentation was done. Both batches are completely finished fermenting, all activity has ceased and yeast has settled.

Directions say to move to stage 2 at 2 weeks. 5 more days. Any reason to wait to add the finishers and preservatives?

I saved a couple yeast slurries from the gallon batches. Is there any reason to save yeast other than for skeeter pea?

Plastic board/ shower wall material isn’t very expensive. You could “wine pruf” the closet similar to a walk in shower. When I started I used a kitchen pantry.

I'm very interested to see how flavors develop. My Welch's white tastes like grape juice and the Pinot Gris just tastes unpleasant. I know I started everything with the kit correctly and can only assume time will make it great. It gives me hope for the welch's too, but I sure am finding the whole process intriguing.

I bought two 3 gallon carboys, and when the kits are 'ready' to bottle I am going to bottle half and bulk the other half until september as suggested. I'll mark some bottles to save and note the difference between bottle and bulk aging as well.

Science!

Last edited:
can you put descriptors on this? Normal could be carbonic/ bitter/ fruity aroma.
A defect would be meaty/ sulfur/ low fruity aroma,, in which case it is time to learn about yeast nutrients and VSC. Whites as a group require better YAN management.
the Pinot Gris just tastes unpleasant. !

Both are completely bottomed out. .990-.991 at most.
Dissolved CO2 is one reason to wait on fining agents, as excess CO2 dissolved in the wine can hold sediment in suspension.. You can manually degas (stir for 2 to 3 minutes, changing direction every 30 seconds).

I add 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5/6 gallons at each racking, post-fermentation, and at bottling. Sorbate is necessary only if you backsweeten, and then it is typically added at bottling or shortly before.

I'm very interested to see how flavors develop. My Welch's white tastes like grape juice and the Pinot Gris just tastes unpleasant.
Young wine, especially with a lot of dissolved CO2, will not necessarily taste pleasant. The Pinot Grigio will change dramatically over the next few months.

I bought two 3 gallon carboys, and when the kits are 'ready' to bottle I am going to bottle half and bulk the other half until september as suggested. I'll mark some bottles to save and note the difference between bottle and bulk aging as well.
Good experiment!

can you put descriptors on this? Normal could be carbonic/ bitter/ fruity aroma.
A defect would be meaty/ sulfur/ low fruity aroma,, in which case it is time to learn about yeast nutrients and VSC. Whites as a group require better YAN management.

I am not worried that it won't come out as expected, but in comparison to the Welch's grape juice which has had time for yeast to settle it tastes yeasty/muddy. The Welch's tastes like a grape off the vine, the Pinot Gris is still very cloudy. It tastes like a fermented grape slurry, but doesn't have that distinctive white grape flavor.

I just had a taste. It is quite literally a terrible dry cider. It doesn't have a sharp grape flavor, but tastes like a fermented juice. It is lacking fruit notes and brightness. It is just a very non distinct blah flavor.

Not wrong, just unpleasant in comparison to a store bought Pinot Grigio

Last edited:
Dissolved CO2 is one reason to wait on fining agents, as excess CO2 dissolved in the wine can hold sediment in suspension.. You can manually degas (stir for 2 to 3 minutes, changing direction every 30 seconds).

I add 1/4 tsp K-meta per 5/6 gallons at each racking, post-fermentation, and at bottling. Sorbate is necessary only if you backsweeten, and then it is typically added at bottling or shortly before.

I set up a vacuum system. I could give it a degas without disturbing the fine lees and rack to a clean carboy.

The kit instructions are to add K-meta and sulphate pack, degas with agitation for 10 minutes, then add kieselsol. 24 hours later add chitosan(s), 5 days later rotate carboy to settle anything on the walls of the carboy, then age to 8 weeks. Rack, K-meta, rest 2 days for additional settling, bottle clear wine.

Both batches are clearly done fermentation and most yeast is out of suspension. The Pinot Gris is fairly clear on the top 2 inches. If there are no dire warnings, I think I will move on to stage 2.

Most beginners wouldn't have a vacuum pump. I assume this is why agitation is the recomended method of degassing?

I set up a vacuum system. I could give it a degas without disturbing the fine lees and rack to a clean carboy.
That works as well.

The kit instructions are to add K-meta and sulphate pack, degas with agitation for 10 minutes, then add kieselsol. 24 hours later add chitosan(s), 5 days later rotate carboy to settle anything on the walls of the carboy, then age to 8 weeks. Rack, K-meta, rest 2 days for additional settling, bottle clear wine.
It's probably a typo, but it's potassium metabisulfite, not sulfate. These are very different substances and cannot be interchanged. I mention this as others may read this and get the wrong idea.

The timing of kieselsol and chitosan varies dramatically. Some kits say to wait 24 hours in between, some say an hour, or 5 minutes, or add them together.

Based upon my experience, I add the kieselsol, stir for a minute, wait a minute (or 3), then stir in the chitosan.

Most beginners wouldn't have a vacuum pump. I assume this is why agitation is the recomended method of degassing?
Yes. Although a lot of us experienced winemakers don't have a vacuum pump, either.

It's probably a typo, but it's potassium metabisulfite, not sulfate. These are very different substances and cannot be interchanged. I mention this as others may read this and get the wrong idea.

I appreciate the clarification, as well. This is my brains magical way of taking two completely different things and making a new one.

It's a single package with K-meta and sorbate.

Latest posts

Back