Ok now what? :)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meadmaker1, My comment about the friend was mostly in jest. But your point is a good one -- getting real descriptions of what is liked/disliked is tremendously valuable.

However, in my experience, some folks have no appreciation for wines that do not fit their preconceived notions. I have friends who discount anything that isn't a $30+ Bordeaux ... giving them anything else is a waste of wine. Getting a qualitative description may be difficult ....

The friend told me when I started making the wine that he would never drink my wine, but we usually share a bottle together - so I poured some to let him taste it - he did not know it was my homebrew wine - he thought it was one of the group of bottles we co-purchased together from a wine club... so it was a very honest reaction - which is what I really wanted. He didn't dishearten me though.

I thought I should keep the wine cooler while is ages....my garage is probably going to get up to around 90 degrees in this summer heat. Couldn't the excessive heat spoil it?

I thought I should keep the wine cooler while is ages....my garage is probably going to get up to around 90 degrees in this summer heat. Couldn't the excessive heat spoil it?

90 degrees will ruin your wine very quickly, you should find or create a much better place than that. Ideal storage/aging conditions are 55 F and 65% / 70% RH, with very little to no temperature fluctuations.

90 degrees will ruin your wine very quickly, you should find or create a much better place than that. Ideal storage/aging conditions are 55 F and 65% / 70% RH, with very little to no temperature fluctuations.
I agree with Johnd. Don't put the effort into making wine only to destroy it.

If you have to make a choice, go with colder vs. hotter, except do NOT let the wine freeze. One choice that I used when I lived in a small apartment was to put the bottles in a case, upside down, and put the case in my closet.

Note: when bottling, let the bottles stand upright for a day or two. Corking can build pressure inside the bottle and it needs to equalize. If the bottle is standing upright, air gets pushed out. If it's not, wine gets pushed out.

I agree with Johnd. Don't put the effort into making wine only to destroy it.

If you have to make a choice, go with colder vs. hotter, except do NOT let the wine freeze. One choice that I used when I lived in a small apartment was to put the bottles in a case, upside down, and put the case in my closet.

Note: when bottling, let the bottles stand upright for a day or two. Corking can build pressure inside the bottle and it needs to equalize. If the bottle is standing upright, air gets pushed out. If it's not, wine gets pushed out.

THANKS FOR THAT!

Kirknotes, you may be interested in a thread I have going that follows my process in making a elderberry wine from a commercial concentrate. I'm recording a lot of detail, expecting feedback from experience wine makers and as a help for newbies.

I made my first batch of wine -- rhubarb -- when I was 18 (the world and the American drinking age were different in that enlightened era), and I had NO idea what I was doing. I found a recipe in the newspaper and followed it, using bread yeast. It was drinkable -- well, sort of, if anyone was desperate. But it got me on the lifelong road as a wine and beer maker.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/vintners-best-elderberry-fruit-wine-base.66122/

I’ve found that people’s opinion on wine is similar to art. One person could hate it, another love it. Doesn’t mean it’s good/bad, just to them it didn’t appeal to them. Certainly there is poorly made or just flat out bad tasting wine, but knowledgeable wine drinkers can appreciate the wine for what it is suppose to be. I think you are clearly on the right track.

I built a “wine box” to house my aging wine, keeping it 65-69 degrees. Cheap and easy to do.

I can appreciate everyone's comments on personal taste. I just bottled a White Zin from last fall. My problem was it is not the type of wine I like to drink but I made it for friends and family that do. Not that I'm a knowledgeable wine drinker but prior to bottling my mind set was as @NorCal mentioned is the wine what it was supposed to be.

well I like it. but I will not be able to drink 15 bottles on my own in the next few years... I drink maybe only 2 or 3 bottles a year...so I am hoping somebody else likes it besides me. For now I am letting it age and I will try it again this fall or winter and then again next year and see how it is coming along. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it mellows with age. Its been really fun and I thank you all again for the great help getting me to the point I actually have something in a bottle I can put a label on. :)

Anyone who just says yuck doesn't get a second chance without some serious apologies. The young comment is good and you already know that. Mr/Ms Yuck should either give constructive comments, or not offer an opinion. i know that sounds harsh but if "friends" make comments like the Yuck comment i really would never offer wine to them again. Be helpful with comments or get shut out

Last edited:
1 gallon = 3.8 liters

3.8 liters X 1.5 grams / liter = 5.7 grams of sugar / 1 gallon

I would do bench trials to see if adding sugar improves the taste profile. I’d start with a gram or so per liter and work your way up. Also, remember to add sorbate to prevent refermentation.
It doesn't seem enough sweetening to me. 5.75 gms is like a big teaspoon. Do we know how dry this wine is.

It doesn't seem enough sweetening to me. 5.75 gms is like a big teaspoon. Do we know how dry this wine is.
I sweetened it to taste as I liked. It turned out nice but it is pretty fruity and acidic very young still - hoping the aging will mellow it out.

Back