Oils on dried fruit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The oil is applied as an anti stick agent, it is a fairly stable oil but will oxidize creating painty flavors. ,,, If you are close to package shelf life folks that are looking for painty flavor will be able to find it. ,, If you don’t know to look for it you could consider that part of the background.

The oil is applied as an anti stick agent, it is a fairly stable oil but will oxidize creating painty flavors. ,,, If you are close to package shelf life folks that are looking for painty flavor will be able to find it. ,, If you don’t know to look for it you could consider that part of the background.
So as we speak i thoroughly rinse the cherries in hot water to remove the oil than let it soak for a bit. I rinsed again and added a light dose of kmeta to the water. Should be ok. I dont really feel the oils anymore

So as we speak i thoroughly rinse the cherries in hot water to remove the oil than let it soak for a bit. I rinsed again and added a light dose of kmeta to the water. Should be ok. I dont really feel the oils anymore
I made a solution of 3 oz water 1/8 tsp kmeta. I added 6 mls of that solution to a 1/4 gallon

I find this interesting! I have recipes on my to do list using dried fruit and I'll get to them eventually.
Each year I add a couple drops of vegetable oil to my rain barrels. Increases surface tension, mosquito larvae can't breath, die.
So I'm wondering about this issue....

If the dried fruits have enough oil (natural or added) will it affect yeast in the same way as mosquito larvae? (suffocation)
- OR -
Is the affect on yeast minimal and we're more concerned about added/unwanted flavors?
- OR -
Is there something else that I'm not getting?

I find this interesting! I have recipes on my to do list using dried fruit and I'll get to them eventually.
Each year I add a couple drops of vegetable oil to my rain barrels. Increases surface tension, mosquito larvae can't breath, die.
So I'm wondering about this issue....

If the dried fruits have enough oil (natural or added) will it affect yeast in the same way as mosquito larvae? (suffocation)
- OR -
Is the affect on yeast minimal and we're more concerned about added/unwanted flavors?
- OR -
Is there something else that I'm not getting?
Way above my experience

With oils, I would be concerned about the possibility that the oil could turn rancid. There is a commercial Fruit Winery (perhaps closed now due to death of owner) just outside Hermann, MO that used to make a pecan wine. He told me that the hardest part of that was dealing with the oil from the pecans and keeping it from turning rancid, never would tell anyone exactly how.

With oils, I would be concerned about the possibility that the oil could turn rancid. There is a commercial Fruit Winery (perhaps closed now due to death of owner) just outside Hermann, MO that used to make a pecan wine. He told me that the hardest part of that was dealing with the oil from the pecans and keeping it from turning rancid, never would tell anyone exactly how.
Interesting. I guess the oils in the nuts are throughout. On dried fruit it a light coating to prevent sticking together. I did remove as much as possible. I didnt notice any type of slick while I had it sitting in the kmeta solution. Guess I'll see what happens.

Interesting. I guess the oils in the nuts are throughout. On dried fruit it a light coating to prevent sticking together. I did remove as much as possible. I didnt notice any type of slick while I had it sitting in the kmeta solution. Guess I'll see what happens.
Nuts need to be stored in a refrigerator to prevent them from becoming rancid.
yes @BigDaveK I have a macadamia nut tree.

roasted peanuts I think are OK maybe cashews, but fresh nuts, walnuts, pecans, macadamia etc will go rancid (and they taste awful that way)

from the interweb:
Pecans, peanuts, and walnuts are more prone to spoiling. Cashews and almonds are the least prone to spoiling.”

Two thoughts:

1. What exactly causes the oil to turn rancid? Is the presence of oxygen required? This paper seems to say yes: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285858510_Oxidative_rancidity_in_nuts So Kmeta would probably protect it. The presence of alcohol might also help to protect the oils.

2. How much oil will end up in the finished product? Non-emulsified oil would probably float on the surface and remain behind after racking.

Last year I did an unintentional experiment related to #2. I was bottling some hard cider, and in a hurry I grabbed food grade mineral oil instead of glycerin. Oops! The bottles were about the same size and the labels the same color. At first I thought I would have to toss the batch, but I decided to bottle it anyway.

After racking out of my bottling bucket I found most of the mineral oil remained behind on the surfaces of the bucket and my racking tube. Last night I opened a bottle of hard cider from that batch, and I could not detect any presence of mineral oil in the flavor or on the glass. If a tiny bit remained in the cider, I could not taste it and it won't hurt me.

My take: I wouldn't worry about oil on dried fruit.

Nuts need to be stored in a refrigerator to prevent them from becoming rancid.
yes @BigDaveK I have a macadamia nut tree.
Cool, I love macadamia nuts.
I have hickory, black walnut, and hazelnut. By far the hazelnuts are the easiest to process for use. (3 nut trees to 1, nyeah nyeah)

I'm not sure what the competition is here. I would use coconuts if I had them. But I live in a major hazelnut producing area, so I have at least a dozen wild hazelnut trees on my property. I want to find a good use for them!

I'm not sure what the competition is here. I would use coconuts if I had them. But I live in a major hazelnut producing area, so I have at least a dozen wild hazelnut trees on my property. I want to find a good use for them!
We‘ll have to decide if “wild” trees qualify. Hazelnuts are one of my favorites.
hmmm, maybe marzipan wine.
Or just marzipan.

The seeds were probably dropped by birds from the nearby hazelnut orchards. So maybe they are not so "wild."

Does anyone have a wine recipe that includes hazelnuts? I was considering a chocolate hazelnut wine or mead.

Latest posts

Back