Oil transfer pump for wine transfer ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruit

Reaction score
I found using syphons too slow to transfer round 25-26 liters after prime to carboy. And it was 3-5 tanks one by one-long time taken.
I am interested if something like below could work (obviously after good cleaning first-pumping lot of hot water, some OxyClean, water again etc...
Sure one needs to be very careful not to suck sediments, I have an idea how to do that (using electric pump) safely.
You opinion/advice ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1748068...5x4|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675&epid=20044098899

I found using syphons too slow to transfer round 25-26 liters after prime to carboy. And it was 3-5 tanks one by one-long time taken.
May I ask what size siphon you are using. I have both the 1/2" and the 3/8" versions. I agree that the 3/8" is slow, but the 1/2" is fine for a 5 or 6 gallon carboy.

I tried both 3/8" and 1/2" syphons. Smaller is useless in my opinion. 1/2" is fine for one 30 liters tank (max 24-25 liters of fluid) but I had 3-5 tanks to rack, one by one.

For must, I use a Rover Pumpe 20 CE model to move must into barrels. Moves a lot of juice, very fast.

But after any fermentation, I do it by gravity. Slowly. Slow is more gentle. And slower and gentle is better. All that time of wine making, up to the racking points... trying to be then fast is not necessarily a good idea. Wine making takes time. In every step. It is one activity that has really helped me to learn patience. :)

Side note: I have never used a vacuum pump. But others here may have used products like the All In One Wine Pump. And they may give you advice about how fast that may be. A food grade vacuum pump is the only type of pump I would use on fermented wine, if I were to use a pump.

I personally think a 42L/min pump (regardless of type) is moving liquids too fast for carboy sized containers (especially using small bore poly tubing). I realize the AIO (All-In-One) wine pump isn't cheap but you get a vacuum system that doesn't introduce wine into the pump so contamination concerns are lessened.

Someone on here might have a better cheap alternative to the pump you show that has a slower transfer rate.

If you want to MacGyver a transfer pump, I would look into a small diaphragm pump or positive displacement pump that you could set-up similar to how the AIO pump connects. You could use the same concept/ principles of the AIO and make a system that would do the same. You can also purchase some of the components like the (racking bungs) on the AIO website and connect your own $30 to $50 chinesium pump off of Amazon or elsewhere. You can also modify an air compressor to turn it into a vacuum pump. Depending on compressor capacity, you might need to toggle it on/off to prevent building up too much vacuum too quickly. There are going to be some design challenges depending on what you decide to use. Regardless, it's a totally doable project. I was going to build one before I knew about the AIO system.

Or if your not very technically savvy, just skip the headache and save up for an AIO as it's a good system.

Good luck!

Out of curiosity, how long does it take the AIO pump to transfer a 6 gallon carboy?
I have never timed it but I believe (and I may be wrong) it is not as fast as the 1/2" Auto Siphon. However, there are other benefits, most important to me is removing CO2.

I have never timed it but I believe (and I may be wrong) it is not as fast as the 1/2" Auto Siphon. However, there are other benefits, most important to me is removing CO2.
Compared to a standard $15 siphon from a brewing store, it's probably 3x faster. Plus you don't need to lift carboys- it transfers at the same elevation. This is a big deal for most people who struggle to lift full carboys. Plus you can filter with it. IMO, the AIO is worth every penny.

Compared to a standard $15 siphon from a brewing store, it's probably 3x faster. Plus you don't need to lift carboys- it transfers at the same elevation. This is a big deal for most people who struggle to lift full carboys. Plus you can filter with it. IMO, the AIO is worth every penny.
I was going to chime in just to say that I wouldn't want to put my wine through an impeller pump. At least with vacuum you are not beating the wine to death.

The thing I like about the AIO is that you can set the height of your racking cane and the process is automated. I would say it is 2-3 times faster than siphoning, but you can do other stuff while it is doing it's thing. fill up your airlock, mix up k-meta. You need to be close by, but you don't need to be hands on for the entire process.

Bottling with it is fun.

I'm 100% for the AIO. It changed the whole process for me. Worth every penny.

It is still an impeller pump, I personally wouldn't go that route.
I agree. As stated above, I have a Rover Pompe. An impeller. And only use it to move must. I love it. It is a great pump.

But... Rover Pompe is quite popular in Europe to move and filter finished wine (they even sell combined pump and filter pad units which many people I know like to use).

I would not do it on finished wine.... But that is just me. To each their own. :cool:

Eventually I purchased this:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2950676...mOHVWwPIdkViS-gSvWV-IQUDUVHk15P4aAtyLEALw_wcB
Magnetic drive, diaphragm pump. It is very heavy, seems to be well made and it works very well...when it starts pumping.
Problem is that it is not self-priming...oh boy, what a battle it was !
But when inlet hose and pump fills with fluid, it pumps fast, completely silent, no any vibration, very nice.

So priming... :-(
(Manual syphoning sucks).
To solve that trouble, I got this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/285182726491?var=587058849669and this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144977976089
I am going to put first-yellow, manual one or second (12V self-priming pump) in front of main one.

I will report more as soon as I test the whole "installation".

Latest posts

Back