ohh - check this out... (fermenter and racking system)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsmithcpa

Reaction score
The fermenter is $80. The CO2 transfer system is $100 on the NorCal Brewing website. The whole thing is less than some winemaking kits.

I didn't realize these plastic fermenters could take enough pressure to to transfers this way. It's CO2 driven, but presumably it would work with nitrogen or argon just as well. I'm tempted to try it out.

What functionality is it missing vs the All-In-One system? Just bottling?

. . . didn't realize these plastic fermenters could take enough pressure to to transfers this way. It's CO2 driven, but presumably it would work with nitrogen or argon just as well. I'm tempted to try it out.]
* The video shows tygon and silicone tubing without a hose clamp, I would guess he is at 5 psig, or at max 10 psig of gas,
* The one big mouth fermentor I have didn’t screw tight enough to seal, I had to improvise a silicone adapter to get CO2 to bubble through the air lock, , , I would not plan on using this kind of plastic setup once active CO2 stopped.
* interesting, keep us posted
:pic

I have that Spiedel, haven’t used it as a fermenter; a brute for that volume is much easier to clean.
O2 exposure is not as important in winemaking as beer making due abv and acidity. I think the system is overkill for winemaking.

Perhaps some fragile whites, but the amount of exposure X the time it is exposed is very small in a vessel transfer, that I would not be all that concerned to purchase such an elaborate system.

Putting pressure on that plastic tank is risky in my opinion, obviously the video shows it can be done if you're careful. You definitely need a relief valve on the tank in case you accidentally bump the regulator pressure up, you don't want that tank to rupture in your face. I didn't find any pressure rating for Speidel plastic tanks, so unless somebody has done testing, you may be on your own with relief valve pressure setting and sizing specification.

Putting pressure on that plastic tank is risky in my opinion, obviously the video shows it can be done if you're careful. You definitely need a relief valve on the tank in case you accidentally bump the regulator pressure up, you don't want that tank to rupture in your face. I didn't find any pressure rating for Speidel plastic tanks, so unless somebody has done testing, you may be on your own with relief valve pressure setting and sizing specification.
Very good point. I'm glad I ask these questions before I go buy stuff... with the relative lack of risk from a little O2 exposure, and the risk of pressurizing a plastic tank, I am probably disinclined to set it up this way.

Latest posts

Back