Oh Oh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderdog

Junior
Reaction score
What a stupid mistake. While racking my wine (WE Eclipse Kit Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel) By accident I knocked a book off the table which landed into the bucket I was racking to. I immediately pulled the book out of the wine and hopefully have not contaminated the wine. This was in the last stage of the process before bottling. I racked into the bucket in order to clean the carboy then rack back into it. I did add a 1/4 teaspoon of kmeta at this time. I would love to hear some encouraging words but would rather hear honest opinions even if bad. I'm certain there had to be a bit of dust on the book. Anybody have an like experience who can offer an opinion.

To save face a bit, I should add that the book was being used to tilt the carboy back that I was racking from.

Last edited:
Honestly I think you'll be fine, I have dropped several items in mine and never had a problem, Just keep an eye on it for any signs of bacteria growing in there

Honestly I think you'll be fine, I have dropped several items in mine and never had a problem, Just keep an eye on it for any signs of bacteria growing in there

Thanks...That is encouraging. Then it is possible that I do not have to drink it all before it has aged properly as it may not be ruined. I did give it a taste test and was quite pleased.

I am a newbie here, so just asking: would it make sense to let it clear for a few more days and see if anything settles out?

What happens depends on the subject of the book. "Beginning Septic Tank Construction," for example, might have a bad effect on the wine. :)

Maybe it was a Juicey tell all to sweeten it up!!!!

Alcohol is a disinfectant, isn't it? You say you were about to bottle the wine so can we assume that it was about 10-14 % abv? How likely is it that any bacteria that might be on or in the book would be able to reproduce and thrive in your wine? I may be wrong but I would say that you should rest easy and not worry that your wine is likely to spoil.

It all depends. Did you roll the book around in a dung heap before it fell in? :):)
Folks worry too much.

We are not performing surgery here. No need to be overly concerned with keeping things sterile.

Keep in mind that grapes themselves spend all of there time growing in the dirt, outside.

I am not saying that cleanliness is not important, it is, but we do not need to worry to the point where the odd germ will scare us.

What happens depends on the subject of the book. "Beginning Septic Tank Construction," for example, might have a bad effect on the wine. :)

I'm still chuckling after reading this post. No septic tank book
or anything close. It was a reloading book (Lymans 48th Edition). Should make for an bang up wine if anything.

After reading the responses so far, I'm feeling better and looking forward to enjoying this wine.

I'm still chuckling after reading this post. No septic tank book
or anything close. It was a reloading book (Lymans 48th Edition). Should make for an bang up wine if anything.

After reading the responses so far, I'm feeling better and looking forward to enjoying this wine.

I thoroughly enjoy a good pun, thanks!

I am a newbie here, so just asking: would it make sense to let it clear for a few more days and see if anything settles out?

There wouldn't be anything to settle out, except maybe a few dust particles from the book. Unless the wine were filtered, there will likely be much more than that going into the bottles, anyway. I wouldn't worry in the least.

Back