oh oh....a double yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
I had a 6 gallon batch of mango...Pitched the yeast this morning.
and had a healthy fermentation going.
My very beautiful, not so smart girlfriend came over...when asked what it was i told her mango and that i added the yeast, she thought I said add the yeast.
She saw my yeast packets laying beside and added one...
thats two yeast packets in one batch...
what should I do ...

I had a 6 gallon batch of mango...Pitched the yeast this morning.
and had a healthy fermentation going.
My very beautiful, not so smart girlfriend came over...when asked what it was i told her mango and that i added the yeast, she thought I said add the yeast.
She saw my yeast packets laying beside and added one...
thats two yeast packets in one batch...
what should I do ...
Thank her for helping you, and continue on.

BTW, IMO wine making is not stressful unless you make it so (and bottling at 3am ...)

Steve

cpfan, it really is not stress full at all. I should have used a better word..
I really enjoy, maybe more then fishing. I am surely still learning.But
we have to crawl before we walk.
I go to bed at 8..9.30 is big night for me...lol
.so at 3 I am having coffee.

The stronger of the two should take over. Some yeast secrete compounds that actually kill-off other strains.. These yeast are labelled "aggressive".. If one of the two was an aggressive yeast, you'll only have one yeast fermenting the must in pretty short order lol

Just keep a nose out for any rotten egg / H2S smells if those 2 packets of yeast live long enough to chow down on most of the nitrogen in the must

Oh, nothing to be scared of. It's happened to the best of us

If you get a whiff of that nasty rotten egg smell, and your SG is still above half-way, just add some yeast nutrient.... The smell comes from the must/wine running low on nitrogen usually, and when the yeast cant find nitrogen, which they use in their metabolism, they start using different metabolic pathways.. Meaning they convert the sugar in the must using a different set of compound-interactions basically, by-passing the need for nitrogen.. But this by-pass, makes H2S

Insert nitrogen back into the picture, and they go back to their original metabolic pathway of consuming nitrogen & no more production of H2S / rotten egg smell

maybe add the same amount as before, that is the yeast nutrient.
jeez...you had me worried dang it.
I started out with and sg at 78degrees, and 1.100

You should be alright, I just mentioned it as a "just in case" because it can happen

Depends on how much nutrient you added before, but myself, since I usually stagger my nutrient additions anyway, I never add more than half of a recommended-dose

ok, i will keep a smell out for.....one thing for sure , its cooking now....
thanks for the info.

Bottling when you get up?? Doesn't that kinda interfere with your tasting while bottling? That is half the fun. LOL, Arne.

Bottling when you get up?? Doesn't that kinda interfere with your tasting while bottling? That is half the fun. LOL, Arne.
That depends on when you get up, some of us retired people try to get up at the crack of noon :p

lol, well I am retired sort of. But being raised in rural Louisiana, I got up with the chickens, and I go to bet with the chicks...early bird gets the worm.... sometimes

Don't worry.

Yeast is a living thing and will multiply in your wine.
Adding two packets of yeast is the same effect as adding 1 packet an hour earlier.
How is that ???
Well each yeast cell will replicate itself in about an hour.
So no harm is done.
Only thing is that saturation with yeast will be a bit earlier as when added 1 packet.

So nothing wrong happened really.
You also could have added 4 packets and still no harm would be done.

Read my story about how yeast multiplies and you will be enlightened:
http://www.wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2012/10/echt-maar-1-just-one.html

And rest assured.
In all my years of winemaking I never (really never) had any H2S (rotten-egg) problems.

Luc

Thank you Luc....one thing I did notice...
the first day my must was 78 degrees and i started with an SG of 1.100
today is day 3...must is at 78 degrees and sg is at 1.000
ill let it go dry,which as fast as its fermenting should not be but a few more days, that is only 5 days from start to finish fermenting...is that because of the extra yeast.
tHANKS

I read your blog that is very interesting on the 1 yest cell, makes me wonder why we use a whole packet on a 3 gallon batch...maybe less yeast means less lees.

I read your blog that is very interesting on the 1 yest cell, makes me wonder why we use a whole packet on a 3 gallon batch...maybe less yeast means less lees.

Nope, the yeast will still multiply until they can't. If you started with one yeast cell or 10 thousand cells, you would still end up with the same thing.

I think the rapid fermentation has more to do with the temp. than the yeast. I have wrapped my fermentor in an old t-shirt and put the thing in a pan of water. The water wicks up the t-shirt and cools the fermentor 2-3*F. You could bring the temp down to 75*F. By increasing the fermentation time you may extract more flavor. But please keep in mind I don't know jack:se

Back