Oh no....What did i do wrong?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeboy

Reaction score
I started my 2nd kit 2 days ago. This time i used a carbouy instead of a paint bucket. We followed the directions ( we thought) but when i woke up this morning, i found wine splatters all over everything. Its bubbling all over. The flash on my camera isnt working, but hopefully you can make out what is going on. Remember this is day 2. Can i save it still?

Leeboy:

Sure put it in a pail as the instructions probably said.

Putting a 6 US gallon wine kit in a 6 gallon carboy does not allow any room for the foam that naturally occurs as fermentation starts. Thus causing exactly what you are showing.

I use a primary that is about 11 US gallons, and transfer to carboy once the sg is 1.005 or below. When I have transferred above 1.005 (say at 1.010), I have had similar problems.

Steve

It can be saved

Yes, you can still save it. I assume this is the primary fermentation? If so, this was caused by lack of headspace in the fermenter. You could transfer what you have now into a larger vessel or you could attache a blowoff tube to the set-up you have now. A google search will help you see how to rig one up but please include the words "wine making" or "homebrewing" when searching or you may get some disturbing images!

Good lesson! We have all had to learn some things the hard way. Hope it didn't stain the floor!

As was already mentioned, especially for big reds, you always need to have extra head room for foaming.

So, should i just pour it all into a bucket ? Or do i have to siphon it in? I will try and borrow a fermenter bucket. Lesson learned , nothing really got stained or anything important.

pouring it at this stage is fine the extra O2 wont hurt it any. i would do whichever is easiest for you. I would siphon just for the fact i wouldnt have to lift the carboy.

If you have a second carboy, split it between the two. You can buy food grade paint buckets at paint stores, Lowes and Home Depot. Just make sure they have the food grade symbol on the bottom.

Ready to go. Picked up a Fermenter for $11 at save on foods. All i have is some bleach to steralize it. Is there a specific ratio for bleach and water i should rinse the bucket with? 2nd question, do i snap the lid on tight and leave it for 5 more days?

Ready to go. Picked up a Fermenter for $11 at save on foods. All i have is some bleach to steralize it. Is there a specific ratio for bleach and water i should rinse the bucket with? 2nd question, do i snap the lid on tight and leave it for 5 more days?
ARRRGH.

Most of us like to keep bleach away from our wine making supplies due to the possibility of cork taint.

What sanitizer have you been using? K-meta? Potassium metabisulphite?

PS I wondered if you were Canadian when I saw the carboy picture. Looks like an RJS plastic carboy. Please update the location field in the control panel to show at minimum "Canada", BC or Alberta. It will sometimes help us to answer your questions or point you in the right direction.

Steve

Will do the update on where i live. Uuummmmm, i already the bleach. I took 2 caps of bleach and really hot water and filled the carboy up 1/3. Then shook it up and rinsed it out about 10 times. Hope i dont get too sick .

Latest posts

Back