Oh Julie bring your recipe for the strawberry breeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Julie I saw in Troy's post that you had made a wine using stawberry breeze. Was that a frozen concentrate or was it one of the juices already bottled?
What was your recipe for making it and how much did you make?

Julie I saw in Troy's post that you had made a wine using stawberry breeze. Was that a frozen concentrate or was it one of the juices already bottled?
What was your recipe for making it and how much did you make?

Oh Pw,

here it is:

for one gallon:
3 cans of Welch's Strawberry Breeze frozen concentrate
3/4 cup of sugar (take a reading before adding sugar and add enough to bring you around 1.080.) my reading was 1.070
2 tsp of acid (check acid first and add what you will need)
1 tsp of pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Lavlin 71B 1122
add everything to one gallon jug, do not add airlock, cover with a clean towel. Once reading is down to around 1.010 add airlock. ferment to dry, then rack to clean gallon jug, then rack every other month and k-meta until clear and then bottle or you can let it age in the carboy. I backsweeten to 1.012

Hope you enjoy, it was a big hit with our friends.

well it looks like this one is going to have to wait a bit longer. the wife returned from the grocery store and they didn't have the strawberry breeze there. I will keep a look out for it and once I find it I will just keep it until the primaries empty out. So in the mean while I started my chokecherry.

I have 9 cans of strawberry breeze frozen concentrate. So is there any special way of handling frozen concentrates that is different from fresh fruits.

This is what I am thinking so I am going to run it by you and see if it is correct.
Mix the 9 cans with hot water and stir until they are thawed out and mixed well. Let sit to get to room temp then add the chemicals wait 12 hours and pitch yeast.

Does that sound abut right or am I missing something when it comes to these frozen concentrates.

I have 9 cans of strawberry breeze frozen concentrate. So is there any special way of handling frozen concentrates that is different from fresh fruits.

This is what I am thinking so I am going to run it by you and see if it is correct.
Mix the 9 cans with hot water and stir until they are thawed out and mixed well. Let sit to get to room temp then add the chemicals wait 12 hours and pitch yeast.

Does that sound abut right or am I missing something when it comes to these frozen concentrates.

Yes that sounds good, I would run the hot water on the lesser side just to make sure you don't have too much, you can always top up with cool water

good deal, the wife is on the way home with them and I have a 6 gallon primary that is just going put something in me. It is a 3 gallon batch so dont get that one confused, LOL

Hope you haven't read this yet,,,

whats a good alternative yeast?

Last edited:
since this is going straight to the glass jug, how high do you fill the water initially?
Do you fill it on up the neck or to the shoulder then top up later to the neck?
or would i be better of actually using my bucket for primary?

Sorry for the vague question, but i hope you get what i am asking.

You would do better to use the bucket for the primary. I don't have an extra bucket right now and since it is only a 3 gallon batch the 6 gallon carboy will have a ton of room at the top. Once it is through the primary fermentation I will rack it into a 3 gallon carboy.

I would not recommend doing a 6 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy for the primary.

since this is going straight to the glass jug, how high do you fill the water initially?
Do you fill it on up the neck or to the shoulder then top up later to the neck?
or would i be better of actually using my bucket for primary?

Sorry for the vague question, but i hope you get what i am asking.

Sorry UglyBhamGuy, somehow I missed this thread yesterday. If you are only making a one gallon batch, I usually mix everything together, fill the jug to the neck, take a reading and then pour some out and put that into the frig. I then add the yeast and once the yeast has slowed down, I add the extra back in.

I have been out of town for the last 3 days and haven't been around to update any of the wines I have going.

I had not planned to start this one until I got more cans to make a 6 gallon batch but I got bored and had the space so away it went. I did all of this before I left to go out of town and by the time I had returned (I did stir it for 1.5 days before I left) it was down to 1.000 on the SG. It was moved from the primary into a 3 gallon carboy and put under and air lock.

Would there be any issue with using a fining agent (sparkloid or bentonite) with this?

UBG, I don't see why you would need to honestly, I put mine in the secondary on Aug 22 and this morning Aug 31 basically 10 days later it is really clear except for maybe the bottom 3-4 inches. I guess if you need it to clear faster maybe a fining agent will help speed it up. I will say that this is not to bad dry but gets even better when backsweetened. What I had left over after the racking I put in a jar and put in the fridge, I was going to use it to top off but after I tried it and backsweetened it I drank most of it, LOL. I haven't backsweetened the 3 gallons yet but once it is racked again I will do it at that time.
I do have one complaint about it, that is I think next time I will try to use 4 cans per gallon instead of 3. Either that or add some banna or raisins to increase the body of it, as it is a very light wine. It is good though.

Julie what are your thoughts is it worth it to use a fining agent, or will it clear on up fast?

Any concentrate that I have used always clears up fast but using a clearing agent won't harm it. I think adding the banana would be the ticket for the body. You know I haven't made a batch of this in a long time, you two got thinking I need to make some more.

Any concentrate that I have used always clears up fast but using a clearing agent won't harm it. I think adding the banana would be the ticket for the body. You know I haven't made a batch of this in a long time, you two got thinking I need to make some more.

Would you add a banana or "banana soup"?
i may try that next time.

Would you add a banana or "banana soup"?
i may try that next time.

Thats a good question, although I don't really know what the differences would be between the two.

Ok, here is what I suggest, one makes it with banana soup and the other with bananas and come to my house and I will taste them both and let you know which was better! :tz

I'm not thinking it would make much of a difference, either way would work.

banana soup would probably be the easier cleanup.

Be careful, i might just do that. Supposedly, my family came to America and settled in PA. i have been wanting to come and do some research up there.

banana soup would probably be the easier cleanup.

Be careful, i might just do that. Supposedly, my family came to America and settled in PA. i have been wanting to come and do some research up there.

Come on up, we might even be related. :)

Latest posts

Back