oh eeek my apple wine has gone cloudy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capedread

Junior
Reaction score
was coming along nicely then last weekend I added a stabilizer and a campdon tab and it's clouded over, lost it's slight sweet taste and once it's out the demijohn it loses it's bouquet!!!!
can anyone help or is it a lost cause?
all advice welcome

We will need more info. How long has it been clearing? What recipe did you use? Most likely you just need to wait to let it clear.

thanks for the prompt reply, I used a general recipe and it had cleared nicely but......... I think I didn't put the bung in properly or it was knocked when I put it back in the cupboard.
when I tested the product to see why it had clouded over the bung felt a bit too loose so I'm gonna have to throw it.

just as well I have plenty more to work on and will be bottling a cherry and carrot later today.

Kicking myself very hard in the bum at this point grrrrr!:eek:t

If the bung was just loose I dought that was the problem at all. Dont throw it out! Wines go through phazes all the time when they are fairly new, give it more time and let it clear again. When you stirred in your campden there was probably a dusting of sediment that got stirred back up with it. Just let it clear again.

My apple wines cloud when I add the sorbate/sulphite too..Resweeten to taste and leave it to clear.

Don't throw it out, it'll take about a month.. but it will clear.

Allie

Your fine
Could be alot of things
Patience...

First anytime you add something to a wine, finished or not, the wine changes. Chemical reactions take place which might indeed cloud the wine.

How old is this wine ?
An apple wine is drinkable about a year after it has been made.
Maybe it is still young.

Next did you use pectic enzymes when making this wine.

And last, when you add something to a wine trapped CO2 might get free and can cloud the wine.

However, do not worry too much, you will be fine.
Just give it time.

Luc

Never ump a wine out unless its been at least a year of aging and hasby come around and even still its still got a slight chance.

Latest posts

Back