Oh dear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it looks like about 60-70% of my primary buds are toast. The rest were still closed and will be fine. Many of my vines are still recovering from the last two bad winters before this past winter and are still being trained. I wasn't going to fruit them anyway. But my frontenac vineyard was all set to produce a great crop. It will still produce, but I will get less than I expected.

In Wisconsin it sounds like areas around la crosse had temperatures in the upper 20's. I haven't had a chance to assess the damage but I think we may have avoided it as buds weren't crazy far along

Frontenac should still crop decent. Secondary buds of it are fairly fruitful, unlike Marquette. Fingers crossed.

By the way it was mixing sleet in as I finished the days pruning a bit ago. Supposed to be the upper 30's the next couple days for lows. Thankfully my most advanced vines have barely reached bud burst and only some here and there.

Wilted leaves and cold temps. All of this makes me cringe I have been lucky this year. Good luck everyone, I will post a few pics when I get home of my warm years growth in an attempt to spread the warm night time temps we have been having.

I had some cold damages in March. Now everything looks fine. My 2nd year vines have put on 1' of top growth. No impact from last night, only got to 39F.

I feel for ya Greg. It's tough to watch promising growth get nipped in the bud.
We've been fortunate here in the mountains of NH. Buds on all my vines are puffy and pink. They are lagging well behind all the native vegetation here, which is all leafed out. Probably a good thing. It was 34 last night with a few isolated frosts in the valleys. We are up at 1300' on a south facing slope so last frosts come a bit earlier, but it was spitting snow this morning.

Did the annual dandelion harvest yesterday in a field that is normally a sea of yellow on this date, but it was raw enough so that only about 5% were fully open. Still got a 5 gal. bucket full of compressed blossoms. Put together the 2016 batch today. Dandelion is probably our most requested wine. I guess not many make it, but many remember their grandmothers making it. It has the really weird property of tasting semi-sweet when we make it bone dry (.992 last year).

Anyway- fingers crossed for you Greg. You'll probably get enough harvest to keep you out of trouble.

One out of a thousand buds seems to have survived well. Here's one with so much promise.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463491385.818640.jpg

ij8g4b.jpg

One out of a thousand buds seems to have survived well. Here's one with so much promise.

May 17th and the wife is currently stoking up the wood burning stove to keep us (mostly the dogs) comfortable, but also to keep fermentation temps within normal levels in the basement. Normally this time of year we'd have the windows open to bring in the fresh spring air...:?

That's wild. It was 91 degrees here and we have the whole house fan running to cool our house down, because it suppose to be hotter tomorrow.

Thinning shoots and pulling leaves in North Alabam. We seem to be in a dry corridor this year with rain everywhere else. I've watered three times already but at least with diligent spraying the fungii is practically gone.

160513_0005.jpg

Latest posts

Back