Oh dear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will it ever end this year? Snow that is. The forecast for tonight is an inch of snow overnight with one to three inches tomorrow. At least with the coolish weather we have had the buds aren't pushing yet. Some varieties are swelling but budbreak is a ways out yet. I may be able to finish pruning before the buds break. I have about two weeks of pruning every day left at this point.

Its an unsettled week again here. Front pushing through tonight and Tuesday with a chance of a freeze Tuesday morning, then one nice day, then back to back to back pacific fronts moving through with rain/snow in the higher elevations. Last week we got ~0.5" of rain and up in Lost Almost they got 10" of heavy wet snow. Moisture is always welcome here. My Marquette is pushing and is days away from bud break on the one by the patio which is on the south side of the house so warmer area. Fingers crossed the cool/wet weather this week keeps things shut down for the most part.

We may be past frost danger at this point. Hoping for no late frosts. My Brianna and Marquette are starting to swell.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1461592138.649928.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1461592155.931868.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1461592170.500588.jpg

Here in Utah, we are having a very wet and mild spring. Vines are leafing out, and it's looking like I might not have to fight any frosts! ImageUploadedByWine Making1461605290.263844.jpg

It's calling for some showers tonight my marguerite are starting to bud and my table grapes are leafing out! And I just took a round yesterday and not much activity was happening! What a difference a day makes in the grape growing world! I decided to take a round today cuz I spotted some green happening that wasn't there yesterday! Oh the anticipation!! Hope everyone has a healthy and bountiful harvest this year!
:b

Oh dear. Our worst case scenario is coming true. Last week 90 temps encouraged buds to leaf out. Now this.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463090505.991338.jpg

So it dipped down to 29 degrees for several hours last night. It looks like anything with unfurled leaves were damaged. That would be about 20% of my frontenac and Frontenac blanc vines. Buds where there were leaves but not yet unfurled may be ok but I can't tell yet until they grow a little more. That's about another 30% of my primary buds. It looks like all the other buds that were swollen but not broken out are fine. But a few days will tell me more. So much for an ideal winter and spring.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463240510.326695.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463240530.678385.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463240551.280702.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463240570.373325.jpg

I found one that seems to have escaped.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1463240633.320641.jpg

I think most of us growing grapes in cold regions have experienced this at some point, sometimes worse than others. They will grow back and hopefully you can't even recognize the damage in a few weeks.

Wisconsin is getting hit tonight with the same cold. Many growers are trying to protect their vines. In the Milwaukee area we are looking at record lows. One saving grace may be the wind has kept up

Sorry about that Greg. I was out from 5-8 this morning with a hose spraying down my 30 vines in the twin cities. Lost most of the tomato plants in the garden, but the vines appear to have made it. Tonight looks to be 2 or 3 degrees warmer than last night... Yeah!

Wisconsin is getting hit tonight with the same cold. Many growers are trying to protect their vines. In the Milwaukee area we are looking at record lows. One saving grace may be the wind has kept up

Friend of mine was sailing on Lake Michigan today. And then it started snowing.:snw Don't you hate when that happens? :D

At 0600 this morning it was 34 but was raining/ snow mix:h. But tonight the weather guessers are calling for 33 and clear. If the wind is not a big factor i will try to cover my vines tonight. The clear sky just scaries the bejesus out of me:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back