off to a shaky start on pineapple recipe. need advice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turned out beautifully in the end. Pics.

Just wanted to say thanks to Wade and anyone else that contributed in any way here on the forum for help and assurances given.
I really had not made a wine to be proud of before this, but the way this batch turned out is really cool.
I back-sweetened to 1.000 sg and at one point thought that all of the sugars had crystalized, but it still gives a reading of 1.000, so apparently not. If I do it again, I will sweeten a little less, but it's very tasty and hasn't even aged 3 months yet.
It has retained a good pineapple aroma and taste and the pics might not show it, but it's as clear as a bell with a nice color.
The label was wet when I took the picture, and Polly, my mini schnauzer that recently passed away gets a commemorative nod.

Steve:b

100_0635.jpg

Hi Steve,

Nice looking wine. Glad to see you gave Polly some recognition. For as devoted as our pets our, they do deserve things like that. :br

That wine sure is crstal clear and glad this batch straightened out and got back in line!

I am a big fan of pineapple wine. After many tries, I now blend it with bananas (with some peels - frozen) and limes (juice and zest) and I heat the pineapple by pouring boiling water over. Otherwise, the recipe is a standard one for 5 gallons. I call it tropical fruit wine. It is a very nice light white wine very comparable to a pinot grigio and is around 12% alcohol.

Question: Has anyone ever tried using / soaking the Pineapple peel? Some of the local winemakers (in Belize) do this to extract more juice. I imagine it would contain tannin as well?

Don't want to risk it unless I get reassurance from "real" winemakers. IMO, the local wines are not that great unless you like syrup at 5-6% alcohol with an oxidized taste :)

I have done pineapple with the peel left and peeled, the first one comes stronger flavor wise and with some odds flavors that fade away with time, I prefer to leave the peels on the pineapple. I going to give your tropical blend a try.

Back