Off taste finish

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johncifelli

Junior
Reaction score
Pressed my wine on September 25th had it in a car boy for three weeks just racked it into my barrel. I did a little taste test, a little funky taste on the finish. Otherwise not bad it's a Cabernet Cabernet Franc blend. I did sulfate a month ago. Any recommendations?

Try to describe funky a little better. Tart? Bitter? Alcohol bite? Metallic? Sour? Any flavor or odor you can identify?

I would say alcoholically in the beginning little sour at the finish. Is it because it's still young?

You say you pressed and left it in a carboy for three weeks. Did you rack shortly after pressing or was the racking at the three week mark the first racking after pressing? After pressing, it's best to let the wine sit in a carboy only for a couple of days to let the gross lees settle at the bottom. After a couple of days, it's a good idea to rack off the gross lees into either another carboy or a barrel. Leaving the wine to sit on the gross lees for an extended period of time can cause off-flavors due to the decay of a large amount of dead yeast at the bottom of the carboy.

Back