Off color question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG67

Junior
Reaction score
This weekend I bottled a pink moscato kit wine into clear bottles. Of the 28 bottles we filled, 3 or 4 were noticeably lighter in color. This is the first time I've noticed it and wondering what causes this.

Last edited:
This weekend I bottled a pink moscato kit wine into clear bottles. Of the 28 bottles we filled, 3 or 4 were noticeably lighter in color. This is the first time I've noticed it and wondering what causes this.
Were all your bottles the same? There are variations in "clear" bottles, some having a slight greenish tint. This could be the cause. I doubt that the wine, assuming it came from one container, would vary in color.

Were all your bottles the same? There are variations in "clear" bottles, some having a slight greenish tint. This could be the cause. I doubt that the wine, assuming it came from one container, would vary in color.
I believe that all the bottles were the same. We bought two cases of clear bottles from the same supplier for this batch. After bottling, the majority were a pretty dark color while 3 or 4 bottles were MUCH paler. All the wine was in one container at the time of bottling and the paler bottles came at various points from beginning to end. When all the bottles were lined up, you could see that spaced through the group, several were distinctly lighter. I can't see a reasonIMG_5643.jpg

Wow! I am at a total loss, particularly because they came from various points in the bottling. You have obviously gone through a lot of very good work with the cappers and all. If it were I, I would open two bottles, one "light" and one "dark" and pour them into glasses to compare the color. I would also taste them to see if there is a difference. If they look the same, the problem is likely the bottle. If they look different, I am still lost!

Good luck!

Wow! I am at a total loss, particularly because they came from various points in the bottling. You have obviously gone through a lot of very good work with the cappers and all. If it were I, I would open two bottles, one "light" and one "dark" and pour them into glasses to compare the color. I would also taste them to see if there is a difference. If they look the same, the problem is likely the bottle. If they look different, I am still lost!

Good luck!
Yup, has me stumped as well. Never thought of the bottles. We're not actually wine drinkers and have taken up the hobby for something to do during Covid and to have a unique gift for friends and family. Not sure our palates would pick up minor differences but those are great suggestions. Thank you

Latest posts

Back