Odd Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildSeedGrrrl

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few folks on here who also make beer and I had a question about forced carbonation and bottling. Is is possible to use one of the mini-keggin systems, like TAD, attach a hose and bottle filler and use that to carbonate, add to bottle, then cap it?

I'm thinking about starting on some beer this summer.

WSG

I didn't see this post, sorry about that. Anyway, I don't know for sure how the Tap a Draft systems carbonate. I know I can bottle beer off my Corney kegs that I force carbonate with CO2 with my Counter Pressure bottle filler. I have the Blichman Beer Gun. Does the TAD use CO2 to carbonate or sugar? I know it uses the little CO2 cartridge to dispense but I thought you used corn sugar to carbonate. If you had to do that you might as well just bottle from the get go. If I remember correct you live in the Minneapolis area. You have two of the best brew shops in the US there. Call Norther Brewer or Midwest Brewing there in your area and ask them. There is some great folks at both.

You know I never think about asking when I'm right there in the store. I should just give them a call. Yeah you do add corn sugar and I think it does use the CO2 for dispensing. I'm really just trying to justify buying the TAD to put in the fridge, especially since I just rounded out what I needed to start doing beer.

I can't tell if the bloody stuff has cleared yet and maybe it doesn't really matter, since I'll have a bit of sediment in the bottle anyway.

WSG

I believe the TAD is for carbonating too, but its meant for a very small scale.

one of those CO2 bulbs is usually 12 grams. It takes 3-4 of those to dispense an already carbonated 5 gallon corny keg. I would take more than that just to carb up, so its not economic really unless its on a small scale.

Back