odd chemical taste in rosé and white wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landwaster

Reaction score
Hi gang -- so I'm tasting a very odd chemical taste in two separate batches of wine we did. Both fermented around 65-70F.

The first was two buckets of rosé made with zin juice drawn off from the must of our main batch. Fermented for about a week with RC212 at a friend's house while I was traveling. It has no off odor, but it does have a very strong off-putting chemical taste that makes it just about undrinkable. I'm not sure how else to describe it. It's been racked twice and taste is still there.

The second batch is a white juice bucket that's at about 5brix currently, fermenting at my house with K1V116 yeast. I just took a taste and it seems to have a similar chemical taste, but not as strong (I tasted the rosé last week while racking, so maybe I'm mistaken that it's the same taste. I'll have to do a side-by-side taste test).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping time and rackings will improve it...

Last edited:
Try and describe the taste. Is it like burnt rubber? is it like the smell of a polaroid picture? is it like rotten eggs?

is it bitter? if so it is excessive tannin. fine with clear gelatin available in grocery store.
ise one small packet for 5 gallons. I would try this regardless if taste is bitter.

I tried the white again last night while I was racking it into a carboy -- I'm thinking it's the taste of fusel alcohol -- I had a similar issue with a batch of mead a few years ago. And it actually does have a strong chemical odor.

Is there anything that can be done for that?

Latest posts

Back