Odd aftertaste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is only my second batch of wine, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it. But, here's the situation: It's an RJ Spagnols Cellar Classic Chardonnay. I had racked this into a carboy on February 28 at a specific gravity of 0.996. Following the instructions, I stabilized, degassed and added the clearing agents. I tasted it at this time and although rough, it had a nice flavor profile.

The wine has been sitting in the carboy since then (total age of 50 days). It has cleared very nicely. Thinking that I should bottle this soon, I tasted it yesterday. It has a very nice aroma and initial taste, but it has developed a distinct and decidedly unpleasant aftertaste. Kind of a bitter, green wood flavor... not vinegary.

I'm hoping this will mellow out after a few months in the bottle, but I have no idea if it will? Should I just not worry about it? Any advice or thoughts.

Zog,

While white wines are generally much quicker to drink than a red they still need time. I've not made this kit but have had similar experience with other whites. Time should take care of that aftertaste.

Just a question out of curiosity, have you racked it off the lees?

It has only been racked from the primary to the carboy once, which is what the instructions said to do. There is some sediment at the bottom of the carboy.

I'm more experienced with reds than whites, but this doesn't sound like a "problem" you can do anything about. I'm always amazed at the weird and sometimes drastic changes a wine can go through in the first 6 months. Since you say it has a nice aroma and flavor except on the finish, I'm guessing it's just a flavor component (maybe from oak?)that hasn't integrated yet.

I wouldn't worry at all, your wine is still an infant.

Sounds typical for a young white to me. People talk about reds needing at least a year to mature; most of the better whites I've had leave a lot to be desired at 4 months or 6 or 8. It's often not until the one-year mark that they get settled.

Jim

I agree with most comments above. The upper level kits always need more time then the cheaper kits due to more solids and the such. This is a very young wine still and will develope over time and during this time it will change a few times. It seems that the higher the quality in my experience at least that they can taste farthest from quality at times but they always come back 10 fold.

So then, do you think I should go ahead and bottle it over the weekend? The only alternative seems to be to rack it off the lees and let it sit in the carboy again for a while.

I racked it off the sediment into my bucket, cleaned and re-sanitized my one carboy and put it back in. Checked it again today after a couple weeks and it is definitely improved! I might do that again - maybe even spring for a second carboy.

Thanks for the help, this forum is great.

You may or may not need to ever rack it again unless it has some more sediment drop out. (And it can.)

It sounds to me like young, green wine taste. Very tart, makes your teeth gritty.

As Wade said, give it some time. Your aging time has already begun, so you are not having to wait any longer to drink it in the long run. Just make sure that when you do eventually drink it, it has been bottled for at least a month, preferably two months.

Dont go racking your wine unless to get it off of sediment as your just exposing your wine to O2, after every 3-4 months just add 1/4 tsp of sulfite per 5-6 gallons.

Well there actually is quite a bit of sediment, which is why I thought maybe to do it again. Not nearly as much as the first time though. I think that when I carried the carboy from the cool back room to a work area to do that last racking, I must have jostled up the sediment too much.

I just bought one of those carboy hauler strap gizmos, because I had a hard time with the carboy handle.

Latest posts

Back