October 2014 Wine of the Month Club

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love to try a pumpkin batch for 2015. I will await a recipe from those with experience and give it a whirl. The hardest part of this new hobby for me is waiting for the wine to age!! What does one do for a year waiting!! Guess I'll have to buy wine for a while.

Give Dragon's Blood a shot it's easy and an early drinker. :)

sorry slow on posting my update: I let my port go down to 1.030 then added sugar back to 1.090 ,refed some more nutrient and today it's down to 1.050.I'm hoping it'll reach 1.030 in the next few days then it "should" be at approx.17% in which I'll break down the math and add plain vodka til 20%.

Yay! My port ended at 1.033 which was as close I figure as I was going to get (my target was 1.030) I then added 1 liter of vodka to the 1 1/4 gal I ended with. My math has me roughly sitting at 20 % (I did an 80% wine +20 % vodka ratio)I wanted to make sure my port was mostly the fruit wine over the alcohol additive. Will set it aside and check on it when I get back from Calgary in 2 weeks.

Wow this month again went too quick!!
We again had a small amount of members this month but it's not the quantity we're looking for but the shared experiences.Looking forward to seeing November ideas.
Remember those who participated this month to keep updates on you wines!
I'm heading for Calgary to do 2 weeks of grandbaby babysitting tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a moment on computer to wrap this month up.Even more so, hopefully I survive the 2 weeks ;)
So who out there is available to do the November WOTM?

I have a Dragon Blood and a skeeter pee that just went dry! Can't wait to actually be able to drink something I created

Backsweeten it and you can start drinking it now. If you give it a month or two in the bottle, it will be even better.

I racked my peach gallon into the glass bottle and then about 15 days later into another glass bottle to get it off the stuff on the bottom. It's sitting now. I measured the acid today and it was .40 so I added a little acid blend. About have of what was suggested so I don't over do it . . . .

I also tasted a little, it's strong but not as peachy and I would like. Is there anything I can add to it to make it a little more "peachy"??? My wife likes it sweeter so I was planning on figuring out how to sweeten it some also.

I would suggest either making an f-pack, or using peach juice concentrate to sweeten after you have sorbated. That would give you both more peach flavour and more sweetness.

I'm in for November 2014 WOTM @vernsgal Totally in!!

Is there a November WOTM thread started yet? I may want to start joining in on this. Sounds like a great excuse to try some experimental gallon batches. I have a few ideas

Jalapeño
Jalapeño/tomato
Peppermint candy
Chocolate covered cherry
Lime skeeter pee
Orange skeeter pee
Pineapple

That's already 7 months. I better get going

On day 20 I chose to skip the finings because I thought a juice wouldn't need it. Well, I was wrong. I mixed up 1/2 tsp of hot mix Sparkolloid today, day 37, and I will let it rest for a month or so before racking.

Last edited:
I dosed this wine with k-meta and sorbate this morning. Planning to back sweeten in the next few days with a simple syrup.

Latest posts

Back