RJ Spagnols OCP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Drunken Friar Cellars
Reaction score
After three months bulk aging, I bottled 29 clear 375s of delicious ruby red orange chocolate port. I would have had an even 30 bottles but somebody drank 300 ml before I finished bottling
smiley2.gif

The wine, even at this young age, is fantastic! I fortified it with a pint of Everclear so its somewhat strong. The tartness and the chocolate moderate the alcohol and I'm glad now that I added the Everclear. I suspect that, without it, the wine may be just a little too sweet for me. I was given a bottle last summer that I suspect had not been fortified and had aged for several months and it was certainly sweeter and much of the tartness had aged out.

This one's definitely a keeper but now I'm going to have to ask my wife to lock my cellar and hide the key!
smiley36.gif

Edited by: Rule G

Rule,
I am making this kit now. Am very surprised to find that no oak was included with my kit. Did you have oak supplied? Did you add any?

No there wasn't any oak with the kit and, as state in another thread, the style doesn't really lend itself to oak.

I bottled mine in 375s and I'm trying one each month. Tuesday night's sample was fantastic. This just keeps getting better! Some advice though: make sure to drink this one last because anything you drink after will smell and taste like chocolate!

Latest posts

Back