Ocean Breezin Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnawal

Junior
Reaction score
I should have checked this forum before starting my kit. I am on day 3 of fermenting and would like to increase the abv %. Is there anything I can do now or is it too late?

If it is still fermenting (can you check the specific gravity) you could add some type of juice or what most do is a liter of red or white grape concentrate. The idea is to add more things to ferment but not to reduce the already thin body of the kit. If you just added sugar and water (or just sugar) it would taste thinner body wise than if you just made the kit as is. They have an option at Label Peelers to purchase a liter of red concentrate and some corn sugar to up the ABV to 10% or a bit higher. You can also add 1/2 of the flavor pack and let it ferment, thereby reducing the final sweetness of the wine and increasing the alcohol. Those kits do tend to be on the sweet side.

It has only been fermenting for 48 hours, I checked the gravity level before adding the yeast. I don’t want to disturb anything but might try adding 1/2 the flavor packet if you think that might give it a boost. If I added concentrate, would I have to take some of the wine out? And would I stir it in?

It has only been fermenting for 48 hours, I checked the gravity level before adding the yeast. I don’t want to disturb anything but might try adding 1/2 the flavor packet if you think that might give it a boost. If I added concentrate, would I have to take some of the wine out? And would I stir it in?
How large of a container are you fermenting it in? Most use a 7 1/2 gallon bucket, which would give plenty of room to add half the f-pack or some concentrate (usually comes in liter containers). I'd take some of the fermenting wine out into a clean container, mix the f-pack or concentrate in, then add it back to the fermenter.

If the fermentation vessel is too close to the top, you will have to remove some wine to offset the added f-pack or concentrate.

Hope that helps!

I believe the container is 7.5 gallons. This is my first time making wine and I am trying my best to follow the basic instructions, but didn’t realize the low alcohol content of this kit. I will run to the grocery store and buy a liter of 100% concentrate. Is it okay to stir it in? I have a nice layer of foam action going on and am not sure about disrupting it. I appreciate your advice!

I believe the container is 7.5 gallons. This is my first time making wine and I am trying my best to follow the basic instructions, but didn’t realize the low alcohol content of this kit. I will run to the grocery store and buy a liter of 100% concentrate. Is it okay to stir it in? I have a nice layer of foam action going on and am not sure about disrupting it. I appreciate your advice!
That's fine (to stir it in slowly, very slowly). I wish my grocery store had that!

One thing, check the label. You don't want any Potassium Sorbate or Metabisulphate if possible in the concentrate (they add it so that things won't grow in it, like yeast). I have used some Minute Maid juice products that do have some Potassium Metabisulphate added and they have worked okay. The sorbate though will inhibit the yeast from multiplying the way they should and you could encounter some issues when the end of fermentation nears (as in it might not finish dry).

You could take some wine out of your container and put it in a blender with sugar to increase your SG.

Yeah good decision, I’ve made a lot of the Orchard Breezin and Island Mist Kits, they’ve all tasted good to me. With those kits I add a 4 or 5 pound bag of sugar to some boiling water, dissolve it, let cool and add to primary fermentation. My wife likes the sweet wines so I don’t mess with the F pack

Yeah good decision, I’ve made a lot of the Orchard Breezin and Island Mist Kits, they’ve all tasted good to me. With those kits I add a 4 or 5 pound bag of sugar to some boiling water, dissolve it, let cool and add to primary fermentation. My wife likes the sweet wines so I don’t mess with the F pack

I do 4 lbs of sugar ( that’s what’s in the bag ) and 1/2 the F pack.

Day 14, I can’t wait to go home and complete the next step in process. Is it at all possible to figure out the alcohol content if I didn’t take a SG reading on day 3 when I added juice and part of the pack?

Day 14, I can’t wait to go home and complete the next step in process. Is it at all possible to figure out the alcohol content if I didn’t take a SG reading on day 3 when I added juice and part of the pack?
It would be hard to tell without a Hydrometer read on the first or second day but I’m guessing since these wines are usually 7-8%, by adding the juice and partial F pack you probably raised it 2 points to 10%. Just a guess.
A rule of measure is 1 pound of sugar raises your gravity aroubd 1 point so when people are adding a 4-5 pound bag of sugar they are taking it from 7-8% to around 12%.
Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back