Observations of first efforts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulione

Reaction score
I have the unique poition of being able to compare the efforts of each of the two kits of the Cellarmaster Merlot Wine Kits.
I put the first one down - then sterilized the primary and started the second one. The only thing that I have changed between the two, I substituted the yeast from the kit with Lalvin RC212 - and added 1.5 grams of yeast nutrient.
The first difference (prior to any additions) - the SG had a differential of .009 - the second being lower.
The second difference - the first effort took nearly 48 hours to show any signs of fermentation in the primary fermenter. The second effort had visible signs within the first 12 hours.
I am going to log daily any visible differences I can, until it comes time to transfer from the primary - that date should be interesting.
I wish now that I had taken a PH reading on the first one - didn't so don't have anything to compare.

Please keep us updated. The true difference won’t show until about 6 months. I did the opposite. I started with two kits that came with RC212 but used EC1118 in one. Mine are about a month apart also. Cheers

You are away above my head at this point - add what - when - test what to develop a type of control -
Still on the steep learning curve!
Thanks for the reply.
Ah, sorry. That response was for a different thread. Not sure how it got on yours :)

I have found that different yeast will give the wine a different taste profile. I've also heard that the differences fade over time. I have tried different experiments, splitting lots, using different yeasts, keeping the lots separate, but in the end, I have always blended them together. Good luck !

Ah, sorry. That response was for a different thread. Not sure how it got on yours :)

I have found that different yeast will give the wine a different taste profile. I've also heard that the differences fade over time. I have tried different experiments, splitting lots, using different yeasts, keeping the lots separate, but in the end, I have always blended them together. Good luck !
Thanks for your reply - my first thoughts were not that good - II figured that somehow I had erred big time.
From my beer products past, the only way that I achieved success was to log each batch - compare - modify if needed - but constantly record. It was the only way that I could learn.
I am hoping to do the same with Wine, just be a sponge to everything and anything - log and compare.
Thanks for the help - have a good one.

Difficult with wine vs beer. Beer tastes like beer right away. Wine goes through a very broad taste profile as it ferments and ages. With my first few batches, I scrambled to “fix” my wine when it didn’t taste to my liking when the directions said it would. 6 months later it was fantastic. Well, maybe not fantastic but pretty good at least :)
You are on the right track to log and compare. Very import to take comprehensive notes because in 6 months and several kits inbetween, you won’t remember the details of your batch. Good luck, keep experimenting and posting :)

Difficult with wine vs beer. Beer tastes like beer right away. Wine goes through a very broad taste profile as it ferments and ages. With my first few batches, I scrambled to “fix” my wine when it didn’t taste to my liking when the directions said it would. 6 months later it was fantastic. Well, maybe not fantastic but pretty good at least :)
You are on the right track to log and compare. Very import to take comprehensive notes because in 6 months and several kits inbetween, you won’t remember the details of your batch. Good luck, keep experimenting and posting :)
Thanks for the reply -
Thank you for posting - it is interesting to say the least, watching this second kit - it is in it's 5th day and still evidence of fermentation. (the primary fermenter is a large Spagnols Tub - with a loose fitting top). There is over 12" of head space. so hopefully no restriction on the head of the fermentation.
Take care!

How's it going? I'm interested to hear your results; should be near clearing, yes?
The first one is still in the first transfer from the primary - it has about another 3 weeks before I transfer it again, the second Merlot, I transferred it from the primary on Thursday, the SG prior to transfer was identical to the first one 0.998. The second one took 15 days in the primary compared to 12 on the first one.
I guess that was due to the change of yeast - RC212 and the 1.4 grams of nutrient.
Now we are in a holding pattern until next transfer date.
Trying to find a suitable pump to build a filtration station - fun.
Thans for the post, take care-
Have a good weekend.

Latest posts

Back