Obscene Shipping-Rates Increase?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this, but since it isn't actually wine "making", I'm posting here.
This is a gripe, really, but my go-to wine kit reseller, Label Peelers (with whom I have been VERY happy with over the last 4 years) have jacked their shipping rates through the roof!
Back in November I purchased a Winexpert "Classic" Tempranillo and the shipping was $12.36. Today, I was going to purchase one of the LE20 wines (to deliver in February) and the shipping rate is $27.07! That's over 100% increase, and FedEx has shown that, on average, their US ground rates have increased only about 5% from last year.
Sorry folks, but plain and simple, I see this as an utter GOUGE!
Needless to say, I have to get my head around this before I decide whether to pull the trigger on this purchase.
Thoughts anyone? (and thanks for listening.)

I buy stuff from LP all the time. I've noticed a slight increase in shipping costs on my last order in December, but not as much as you're saying. Maybe the kit will be shipped to you directly from the manufacturer, which could explain the difference. If they indeed doubled their shipping prices, there are other options for kits, like Homebrew Ohio and PIWine, to name just a couple. MoreWine also has a warehouse in Pennsylvania and most kits ship free.

I contacted LP earlier and Matt just now got back to me. He did confirm that shipping rates were increased this year, but the primary difference was the fact that this particular shipment is much heavier than my shipment in November. That prior order having been a 8L kit, and the LE20 kit is a 14L kit.
It didn't even dawn on me to consider that, so my bad.
I appreciate the response back from LP, which is just another sign of the fantastic service I have experienced from them.
Carry on!

I didn't know where else to post this, but since it isn't actually wine "making", I'm posting here.
This is a gripe, really, but my go-to wine kit reseller, Label Peelers (with whom I have been VERY happy with over the last 4 years) have jacked their shipping rates through the roof!
Back in November I purchased a Winexpert "Classic" Tempranillo and the shipping was $12.36. Today, I was going to purchase one of the LE20 wines (to deliver in February) and the shipping rate is $27.07! That's over 100% increase, and FedEx has shown that, on average, their US ground rates have increased only about 5% from last year.
Sorry folks, but plain and simple, I see this as an utter GOUGE!
Needless to say, I have to get my head around this before I decide whether to pull the trigger on this purchase.
Thoughts anyone? (and thanks for listening.)
I order from them all the time and shipping rates have not skyrocketed like that for anything I've bought recently. I just checked the shipping rate for one of the LE20 kits to NH where I am and it's $34.00. That's actually is a lot higher than the $20 or so I'm used to paying for a kit. Something's rotten in Denmark!! 😬

Last edited:
I also ordered their reserve Australian Cabernet Shiraz (with 3 cases of bottles) early Dec.
Shipping was 60.29, much more than previous orders from Label peelers.

It still was near or less expensive than ordering from other companies with their price and shipping together.

I confess that I am supplier agnostic. I run the numbers on the type and brands of whatever it is I seek, and then order from the place with the lowest total cost. It is pretty interesting. Some places that offer free shipping over a certain amount will have higher prices, but then when you look at the lower priced site, it will end up with the higher overall ticket once the shipping is added. Everyone has their scheme, even if the suppliers are actually owned by the same company, but the calculator does not lie. I have no "local shop," so it all comes on the truck. So it is in my best interest to make sure my shipping costs – which, after all, don't add an ounce to my fermenting efforts – are as low as they can be.

I don't think anybody offers "free shipping." What they really mean is "shipping is included" unless they have somehow convinced UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. to deliver without charge.

There is no free lunch.

They offer it as free, and so their prices will generally be higher. So it makes you do some homework, unless you don't care what you pay. Like I said, the calculator doesn't lie. It pays to shop. Case in point is Clarity Ferm. You can buy it online for $6.99+ a tube all day every day, but the last 10 tubes I bought cost me $2.90 each and came to $3.49 each with the shipping included. That just beat the snot out of those "free shipping over $XX" sites, and I had to buy nothing more than the Clarity Ferm. One time I thought I found a bulk deal in a jug, but that ended up with shipping to cost more per ounce than the tubes. The calculator does not lie. I always shop. Always!Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.57.54 AM.png

Gotta disagree on no free lunch. For example, inheritance proves that false. :D

Last edited:
Gotta disagree on no free lunch. For example, inheritance proves that false. :D
"No free lunch" refers to a quid pro quo transaction and "inheritance" does not fall into that category.

I agree with shopping and total cost comparison, assuming other aspects such as delivery time, quality, ease of doing business, handling returns, etc. receive due consideration.

Latest posts

Back