RJ Spagnols OB Watermelon White Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FABulousWines

Le Vigneron Heureux
Reaction score
I am doing this kit at my wife's request. SWMBO has spoken! :w
It finished ferment at 0.994 with a starting OG of 1.088 after adding about 4.5 lbs. of inverted sugar. That's the only change I made to the kit instructions. Final ABV around 12.5%. We've already had this wine from another wine maker and she wanted me to follow the instructions, so...

The kit instructions have you ferment dry in the primary, so at around 1.020 I locked the lid down and added the airlock. Racked it off this morning. After adding the f-pack but just before stabilizing and clearing agents I took a taste. Mmmm, really gonna like this one! :db

I put a few ounces in the fridge for SWMBO to sample. She hasn't stopped talking about it. Apparently it will end up under some Christmas trees this year, LOL.

Should be clear and bottled in time for the holiday. The only question in my mind is how much of this will last to the end of the year?

None and trust me when it becomes time to give some as presents, she is gonna change her mind, lol, cuz she won't have much left!

Ours should be here any day now. So we are glad for your reviews. I thought this was the easiest way to make a watermelon wine since many claim it that watermelon is difficult.

I think you will love it. I plan to do more of these OB kits as "early sippers". The Cornucopia Tropical Riesling is also good, but I am thinking this OB kit is a step up. Of course the Riesling was my first kit and that may have affected the outcome some. I keep thinking, if it is this good now, what'll it be like in a few months?

Peach Chardonnay is next...

FABulousWines said:
I think you will love it. I plan to do more of these OB kits as "early sippers". The Cornucopia Tropical Riesling is also good, but I am thinking this OB kit is a step up. Of course the Riesling was my first kit and that may have affected the outcome some. I keep thinking, if it is this good now, what'll it be like in a few months?

Peach Chardonnay is next...

Peach Chardonnay is a staple at our house. It is the one wine I am never allowed to run out of. I only add 3 pounds of sugar and it seem just about perfect. I think the Pomegranate Zinfandel is going to be another we aren't allowed to run out of. I haven't done a Tropical Riesling but really enjoy the Green Apple one. These kits are great to make and have around till the biggies are done aging.

OMGosh we have a new favorite! Coconut Frascati! It will be a staple here. Still have 4 more kits to make and one more on the way. Have to wait until we get the wine cellar fixed/cooled down and we are out of peak shipping season here, about another month.

Which kit is that? I can honestly say I have never had a coconut wine.
Enjoying a bottle of the Riesling right now, it is really growing on me!

Which kit is that? I can honestly say I have never had a coconut wine.
Enjoying a bottle of the Riesling right now, it is really growing on me!
Cornucopia makes a Coconut Frascati. Maybe somebody else as well.

Steve

If you want straight watermelon concentrate, grab some from www.homewinery.com, it is unbelievably delicious (and one I do not share). Sammyk, Cornucopia White Coconut Frascati was the first kit I ever made. I quite enjoyed it, plus it makes for a killer white sangria base.

If you want straight watermelon concentrate, grab some from www.homewinery.com, it is unbelievably delicious (and one I do not share). Sammyk, Cornucopia White Coconut Frascati was the first kit I ever made. I quite enjoyed it, plus it makes for a killer white sangria base.

Thanks for the link. Interesting. We may have to try that sometime.

Back