Oaking Sauvignon Blanc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgentile

Still learning
Reaction score
Picked up a bucket of Sauvignon Blanc on Saturday, pH 3.36 TA 6.1 Brix 21. Plan is to oak this as I have liked some oaked SB I have encountered.

Question is what oak to use? I'm assuming a light or med oak? How long on oak if I get chips? I know it's to taste but I'm curious what others done or recommend?

Thanks

Paul

Since it is generally a light wine I would say you are correct with no more than medium toast. Chips can be harsh IMO. I have been using cubes and more recently French oak spirals. The instructions for the spirals are they give up all their flavor in 6 weeks. So that may give you an idea of how long you want to go.
Mike

@troutgod thanks for the input. Ordering spirals today, last time I did spirals they swelled larger that the carboy opening. I see morewine has staves and a sticks maybe I'll try some of those.

I should have posted the original post in the Barrels & Oaking section, but couldn't figure out how to move the post once posted.

Latest posts

Back