oaking elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
I am experimenting with oaking some elderberry wine left over from the second racking. Just grabbed a few white oak pieces from the shop and cut them to 3/4" x 1/2" x 3" long, then wrapped them in aluminum foil and toasted them in the oven until chocolately brown. It took about 3 hrs at 450*F. to get the desired color.

The whole kitchen smelled like warm oak and vanilla when the foil packs were opened. Not sure how that vanilla is going to play with the elderberry, but we'll see.

I am experimenting with oaking some elderberry wine left over from the second racking. Just grabbed a few white oak pieces from the shop and cut them to 3/4" x 1/2" x 3" long, then wrapped them in aluminum foil and toasted them in the oven until chocolately brown. It took about 3 hrs at 450*F. to get the desired color.

The whole kitchen smelled like warm oak and vanilla when the foil packs were opened. Not sure how that vanilla is going to play with the elderberry, but we'll see.

Keep us updated. I have a 3g batch of elderberry aging now. I'm trying to decide whether or not to oak. I'll prolly oak part of it for comparison.

I'm planning on doing a lot of elderberry in the coming years, so I'm very interested in learning all of the options.

Everything I've read says that elderberry takes oak very well.

Good Luck!

Seems like the eldo is a little chewier and a little less fruity after a few days on oak. I like it, but Mrs. Mud does not. It's worth splitting the batch for anyway.

Seems like the eldo is a little chewier and a little less fruity after a few days on oak. I like it, but Mrs. Mud does not. It's worth splitting the batch for anyway.

My last batch of Elderberry, I oaked the full body. I used Hungarian oak cubes and left it in the wine for 6 weeks. I wasn't sure after drinking the first bottle but now, I really like it. I won't do every batch that way but I will keep a batch on hand.

Mud have your wife try it again after a month or two, she might like it then.

My last batch of Elderberry, I oaked the full body. I used Hungarian oak cubes and left it in the wine for 6 weeks. I wasn't sure after drinking the first bottle but now, I really like it. I won't do every batch that way but I will keep a batch on hand.

Mud have your wife try it again after a month or two, she might like it then.

hmmmm. That's the LAST thing I want - something to make me wait even LONGER! :ib

I am going to plant some of these either this or next year(probably next year due to funds) but after making it this year I will be making much more of this wine and will oak some next year and believe this wine to be 1 fruit ine that would be nice in many varities like sweet, dry and oaked.

That's why I'm messing around with it. But it's all so good. At least to my uncomplicated palette. I think most of it will be off-dry unoaked. Will leave the rest alone.

I am going to plant some of these either this or next year(probably next year due to funds) but after making it this year I will be making much more of this wine and will oak some next year and believe this wine to be 1 fruit ine that would be nice in many varities like sweet, dry and oaked.

I guess I'm lucky - I live close to our state conservation nursery. I ordered 3 bundles of the native variety for $8/bundle. Each bundle is 25 seedlings.

Mine are going in THIS year!

Latest posts

Back