oaking catawba?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Praying this ferments
Reaction score
Hi,

I know Catawba wine is usually semi-sweet or sweet, but I'm going to make a dry rosé catawba and would like to oak it with oak chips. Has anyone done anything similar or have suggestions?

The dry rose' sounds good. What are you going to blend in with it to get the color? I personally don't think I would like it oaked, but have never tried it. I would suggest you do a bench trial. Put several oak chips in a bottle ( about 20% of what you will be putting into a gallon of wine) and set the bottle a side for a few days and try it. You might even try a few bottles with various amounts of oak. This won't give an exact flavor but it'll be as close as you can get to see if you'll like it or not.

Thanks sounds like a good plan will try it that way with a test batch. Either going to see if it might work to just crush and leave the grapes in for a day or two as though it was a red wine or use some left over vinters reserve merlot for colour and body

Just tried a glass from bottle that had 1oz per gal oak and was made on skins then crushed. Tastes a little young, but very good for a first attempt...

Back