Oaking an unwooded Chard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Junior
Reaction score
I made Winexpert's Sonoma Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay. I bottled 3g of it as directed and transferred the rest to a 3g carboy with 2 oz. of toasted American oak chips (boiled for 3 minutes in a muslin bag and submerged with several glass marbles). I check it's level of "oakiness" every week. How long before the wine takes all it can from the oaks chips? It doesn't seem to have much oak character yet. I added another 0.5 oz last night to move it along.

What toast was the oak? There is about 4 different levels. 1 being not even toasted and ranges to heavy toast which you would probably be tasting by now.

Buffman,

I made/bottled this kit as well. The acidity in this kit may be a tad too high (i didn't measure mine) for oaking. In other words, you may not get the "oaky" flavor you are looking for.

Regardless, you will have to periodically check/taste the wine to determine "your level of oak" to ensure its too your liking

What toast was the oak? There is about 4 different levels. 1 being not even toasted and ranges to heavy toast which you would probably be tasting by now.

Medium toast, I'd guess. I bought the chips from Brewmaster's Warehouse with some beer supplies.

Should say right on the package. If medium then probably 2-3 weeks should be sufficient.

Buffman,

I made/bottled this kit as well. The acidity in this kit may be a tad too high (i didn't measure mine) for oaking. In other words, you may not get the "oaky" flavor you are looking for.

Regardless, you will have to periodically check/taste the wine to determine "your level of oak" to ensure its too your liking

I noticed that when I bottled the first half. I think I'll give it a week or two more with the 2.5 oz. oak chips and bottle.

I made this kit a little over a year ago and oaked it with a couple of medium French staves. I thought it had plenty of oak influence after 6 or 8 weeks and pulled the staves. Now I don't sense that much oak.

So my advice is to either leave it in a long time (being prepared to let it age/mellow a long time) or cut your losses and pull the oak out early. I have since purchased another Dry Creek kit with the idea of preparing it without wood.

Jim

Last edited:
With using oak you need to slightly over oak as it mellows in unlike sweetening a wine wherethat tends to show up more later.

Latest posts

Back