Oaking a Pinot noir (or how to mimic a commercial wine)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always add oak, but you can't take it out :tz

I absolutely agree with GaDawg..

You have your own tastes. Going light right now means that you can "dial in" the amount of oak you prefer. As Ga says, you can always add another dose...

That being said, I would put my money on you add more later.

For a cab or merlot, I go for about 4 oz per carboy as a standard. Depending on the body and color, I may do more than that.

This being a pinot, I would have gone for 3oz. He is going for 1.25 oz.

I used 3 oz medium french oak cubes in my Pinot. I left it in for 8 weeks and in my opinion it is pretty darn good for my tastes.

Half a month sitting in 1 oz of medium toasted oak cubes and it is not nearly oaked to what we like in my house.
There is no heavy smokeyness or much of an oak flavor at all.
So I may up it with 1 more oz,
Of course I have plenty of heavy toast American oak chips I can add as well.

Any ideas on mixing Hungarian & heavy American oaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I personally stay away from chips after primary. They can impart a lot of flavor quickly, but to me, it seems harsh.

Is 2 to 3 oz of cubes excessive?

I mean how much oak flavor does 2 or 3 cubes impart in 6 gallons.

Can I possibly over oak it?
Having tried wine that has been in my barrel, I am starting to think there is no way 3 oz of cubes could impart as much as wine that spends 6 weeks in a barrel.

Guess what I am saying is I putting the remainder of my cubes in the Pinot,
Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I wouldn't bee too scared of 3 oz. But I'm an oak monster. I'd still taste every two weeks.

Just bottled my Cellar Craft Premium Pinot Noir and boy is it good!!!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Just bottled my Cellar Craft Premium Pinot Noir and boy is it good!!!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Congrats, enjoy it!

I have 2 weeks, according to my racking schedule. At which time I was going to bottle. This would put the wine at 5 months, month and a half sitting at least 2 oz of oak cubes.
Every time I mention bottling, my wife who likes the Pinot tells me "it is not done yet"!
:d

Latest posts

Back