Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom

Reaction score
OK here we go...

Is there a chart on amount oak chips added (grams/liter) for different wines?
ie. Is amount of oak chips the same on a Cab vs. Pinot Noir? I use 4oz of med toast for most of my red wines
I know they are "oaked" in barrels and mostly the same "toast" I looking for us who use light and medium toast chips.
Would you use more or less on different reds. Some measure in cups and some in grams or ounces.

Tom:

remember that new barrels contribute more oak to a wine than old barrels. In fact some barrels would be considered neutral.

So 1 week in a new barrel might oak the wine more than 6 months in an old barrel.

When I view the various kits, there is a large swing in the amount of oak. For example the Cru Select Australian Shiraz Viognier contains a lot of oak (oak shavings (about 4 cups), Hungarian oak cubes (2ozs?)). While other Shiraz's contain much less, eg Ken Ridge Showcase Australian Shiraz has 34g of oak powder. I believe that Vineco (Ken Ridge) tends to be conservative in the oaking, and that may contribute to earlier drinkability.

So, I guess I'm saying that there is a lot of "personal choice". When I made the Shiraz Viognier, I only added the cubes. We really enjoyed it that way, and will make it again sometime.

Steve

Last edited:
Tasting frequently and removing when it's just right is the best bet.

HUH, never saw this thread! I would not add the same amount of oak to a Cab vs. a Pinot Noir. I dont think there is any chart as each is personal preference which can vary big time. I love a lot of oak on my reds but dont like any in whites and very few in fruits.

Back