Oak Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I decided to add a Medium French Oak to my WE White Merlot after talking to Winthief. My question is I have racked over to the secondary at a sg of 1.03 and the oak says it needs six weeks min. of contact time. I added 25 cubes when I racked. When the time comes to stabilize should I rack the cubes over or should I just wait the six week to stabilize. I do realize you're suppose to rack to the secondary at 1.01 or lower but I was planning for a longer period in the secondary.

Ive never tried the White Merlot with Oak but Im guessing you wont want a huge amount of oak in this and the time spent in before racking would probably be sufficient! Taste it at that stage and decide for yourself though.

I don't think I would like a sweeter wine that is oaked. Do you know of any vineyards that make an oaked white merlot?

Ive never tried the White Merlot with Oak but Im guessing you wont want a huge amount of oak in this and the time spent in before racking would probably be sufficient! Taste it at that stage and decide for yourself though.

Yea I agree White Merlot is not a wine you want alot of oak in.

I would not wait the 6 weeks to stabilize - I would stabilize at the proper time and then either remove the cubes ( lessor oak effect) or keep using them until you think it is oaked to your taste.

Latest posts

Back