Oak infusion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TikiWine

Reaction score
I am trying to make a cab with a bourbon barrel oak characteristic. Has anyone done this without a bourbon barrel? Can you infuse oak spirals or cubes with bourbon? If so what is the process?

I know a beer maker that soaks the chips in bourbon. I'm pretty sure he tosses the bourbon. You can always add some at bottling if needed. Hell, not sure just adding oak and then bourbon, to taste, at the end would be any real discernible difference to be honest.

I know a beer maker that soaks the chips in bourbon. I'm pretty sure he tosses the bourbon. You can always add some at bottling if needed. Hell, not sure just adding oak and then bourbon, to taste, at the end would be any real discernible difference to be honest.

I would worry that dumping the bourbon to taste might long term overpower the wine taste. Have to be careful with those heavy taste things.

Ok. Yes I thought about that, but do I let them soak ( for how long), do I let them dry after soaking, or from one to the other?

Side question - I am soaking oak spirals in unflavored alcohol, do I need to let dry before using again?

Ok. Yes I thought about that, but do I let them soak ( for how long), do I let them dry after soaking, or from one to the other?

Side question - I am soaking oak spirals in unflavored alcohol, do I need to let dry before using again?

I have to wonder why soak oak spirals in something?? Doesn't that leach all the oak goodness out of it, unless you pour the unflavored alcohol right into your wine.

To answer the other question, I think I might just barely cover the cubes or even just have them sit in a small amount and add it all to the wine. But I don't know, the best bet might be to buy the chips/cubes from old bourbon barrels.

I am with @1d10t on this. I cannot imagine that there is something in bourbon-soaked oak that isn't present in bourbon and oak. What exactly more do you think there could be? I'd oak it and add a little bourbon...

Soak the chips, cubes or spirals in bourbon to cover or the unflavored alcohol (Everclear/moonshine). You can can soak them a few hours up to many weeks. Dump everything in the fermenter. I've done it many times with beer and some with wine; unless you are using an excessive amount of bourbon, it won't overpower the wine. The chips will leach into the alcohol so you want all the oak flavor.

I have to wonder why soak oak spirals in something?? Doesn't that leach all the oak goodness out of it, unless you pour the unflavored alcohol right into your wine.

To answer the other question, I think I might just barely cover the cubes or even just have them sit in a small amount and add it all to the wine. But I don't know, the best bet might be to buy the chips/cubes from old bourbon barrels.
I wonder why someone would soak oak cubes or chips in flavorless alcohol, unless there is some magic to it, I don't know about?

Label peelers has presoaked oak chips in lots of different alcohol varieties. I’ve used their rum ones with good results.

The owner of the local wine shop told me I could do that to Clean the spirals and reuse them. Not sure how I feel about it. I think I might just buy new ones. But for this I am trying to get that boubon cask flavor out.

The owner of the local wine shop told me I could do that to Clean the spirals and reuse them. Not sure how I feel about it. I think I might just buy new ones. But for this I am trying to get that boubon cask flavor out.

General concensus is that all the oak goodness is used up if you leave the spirals in for 6 weeks or more. Not sure you would want to try to reuse them for much of anything besides BBQ flavoring.

I soaked a few cubes..like 25 in bourbon, over night, let them dry out and after second raking put them in. It turned out quite good.

Latest posts

Back