Oak cubes when racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Countrygent

Reaction score
I have racked some Pinot noir into glass carboys and MLF continues. Had a mild sulphur issue (probably left on the gross lees a day or two too long), so dosed with Reduless, and will be racking after 72 hours according to recommended use.

Q: There are oak cubes in the carboys, they have sunk into the lees. After racking can I just scrub them in a strainer, rinse with Star San, and throw back into the wine when it is returned to the cleaned carboys? My guess is no problem as long as sanitation is OK?

I have racked some Pinot noir into glass carboys and MLF continues. Had a mild sulphur issue (probably left on the gross lees a day or two too long), so dosed with Reduless, and will be racking after 72 hours according to recommended use.

Q: There are oak cubes in the carboys, they have sunk into the lees. After racking can I just scrub them in a strainer, rinse with Star San, and throw back into the wine when it is returned to the cleaned carboys? My guess is no problem as long as sanitation is OK?

I would think that if you collect them in a strainer and simply rinse the lees off, they'd be fine to go right back in, a little spritz with a sanitizer certainly wouldn't hurt the effort.....

Do we need to sanitize the oak chips right out of the bag. It seems we would lose some of the aroma and effects if we pre-wash and sanitize them. What do you think.

Do we need to sanitize the oak chips right out of the bag. It seems we would lose some of the aroma and effects if we pre-wash and sanitize them. What do you think.

I don't. I add them directly to my wine. Sanitizing them will wash off some of the char.

Last edited:
If you add the oak cubes before you wine clears you got to clean them off after racking. I have had success adding my oak cubes after the wine clears. It takes a little longer but the ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Should oak cubes be taken out once fermentation has stopped or can we leave them in longer, would there be any benefit.

I use oak chips, or in some cases oak dust during fermentation. It doesn’t add oak flavor, it adds body. After my wine clears, I add oak cubes for 6 weeks. Rack and bottle.

Latest posts

Back