Oak Chips Inc.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmguptill

Chemist-turned-home-winemaker
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered oak from oak chips, inc.?

www.oakchipsinc.com

I generally use cubes in my kits, as they seem to be the best balance between cost and flavor. I got some samples from these guys a while back, used them in a kit and was really happy with the results. They told me they do small orders and the pricing seems reasonable, definitely less on a per ounce basis than what is typical from a LHBS.

I'm just curious if anyone else has done business with them and what's been your experience?

I don't have any feedback on them. But want to make sure you know what you might expect from oak chips. They give up what little they have to give up, more in the way of sacrificial tannins than in oak flavoring. That's why kits have you put them into primary fermentation. What they have is gone in just a few days. Cubes, staves and xoakers are better choices for oak flavorings. YMMV.

@dmguptill , they appear to be legit from the website, they offer a very nice array of products, dust, shavings, chips, barrel staves, etc.., and in a variety of appropriate toast levels. Maybe request the free samples if you’re concerned, I’d order from them if they had something I needed.

I got three samples of cubes from them and used them in a low end master vintner merlot. It was very oaky, but turned out very well, especially once it mellowed.

I did note the cubes were much more varied in size than typical stavin cubes. These had many larger cube chunks. They all fit through the neck of a standard carboy though.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone had any experience here with their products before I drop $100+ on cubes. I'll get updated pricing and shipping costs when I call to order, but as I recall, the shipping cost increase was incremental with larger orders, so it makes sense to get at least 5-10 lbs of cubes. I'll let everyone know what I find out...

Latest posts

Back