Oak chips after your done... Smoker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I added oak chips in my primary for Pinot Noir. When I cleaned my primary I threw them out. I put more in the secondary and when I racked I took the chips gave them a quick rinse then dried them out. I am planning on smoking some cheese soon and want to use these purple used wood chips. Has anyone ever done it? When I smoke my cheese I will add pictures.

I made a beer can chicken yesterday and used some dried American medium oak spirals that had been marinated in some Syrah, I think. Added a real nice flavor to the chicken. If they are newly removed from the wine and still a bit damp, they'll smoke a bit longer, which can be good.

Have grilled numerous items and smoked chilies with spent wine oak.

I thought I was a genius. I guess not. But I can't wait to use them. This site is full of my kind of people. Making and drinking wine and beer and smoking foods.

I have a traeger with a smoke daddy on the side of it. I love that combo.

I save all my wine oak for smoked prime rib, been doing it for years

I added oak chips in my primary for Pinot Noir. When I cleaned my primary I threw them out. I put more in the secondary and when I racked I took the chips gave them a quick rinse then dried them out. I am planning on smoking some cheese soon and want to use these purple used wood chips. Has anyone ever done it? When I smoke my cheese I will add pictures.
I have a Bradleys....I cant see why it wont work. If your using a 6 gallon carboy I cant see how there will be a whole lot of oak to work with though unless you are using it on a BBQ

I use my oak sticks when I cook ribs on the gas grill, I wrap them in foil so they dom't ignite.

Anyone done the opposite? smoked some oak chips with something like apple wood before going into wine?
Or maybe just use the apple wood chips in a white wine, like a chardonnay? Or even a few chips in a beer, like the porter I'm digging right now...wouldn't want to overdo it, it's good the way it is...

Latest posts

Back