Oak chip bag broke!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mollie

Junior
Reaction score
Help! I was degassing my wine and the bag that the oak chips were in broke! What should I do? Put it back In and just let the oak float around or just keep it out? It's already been in there for 2 weeks so maybe it's done it's job

You can just leave it out, but when you go to rack the wine, it may make things a bit difficult since it can clog up your siphon. (depending on the size of the chips) I had this problem with my Super Tuscan, but in the end. It doesn't hurt anything except your patience!

Taste it first. Do you like where the oak profile is sitting or could it use more?

And don't fret about the bag, I don't use one. I just rack when I feel the oak flavor is just over where I want it to be.

For what it's worth, I never use a bag. I just toss the oak in.

in time, the chips will sink. Once on the bottom of the carboy, they are easily avoided with a racking cane.

Last edited:
I never put my chips in a bag. I let them float and when the get water logged they sink to the bottom off the carboy. When I rack my wine I put a long cotton muslin bag over my auto siphon and I dont get any chips in the siphon.

I never use a bag. They either sink or float so when racking I just stay away from the chips.

Latest posts

Back