Oak barrel revitilization

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iansberg

Junior
Reaction score
I have an oak barrel that has been filled a few times with cab savs. Is there a way to re enhance oak flavor say by shaving the inside a little? Or does the wine usually soak through enough that this would not help? I am aware of the danger of leaks for this process, I'm just curious if anyone has tried.

Thank you!

Shaving the inside a little? Not likely to give you the effect you desire. Your barrel can be recoopered but likely unnecessary if you use adjuncts. Depending on the size of the barrel, drop 1-2 toasted spirals in at fill. Attaching fishing line will lesson the trouble at removal...

Last edited:
I have an oak barrel that has been filled a few times with cab savs. Is there a way to re enhance oak flavor say by shaving the inside a little? Or does the wine usually soak through enough that this would not help? I am aware of the danger of leaks for this process, I'm just curious if anyone has tried.

Thank you!

Yes, the barrel needs to be disassembled and each stave planed / sanded down to fresh wood, (have read that it’s around 1/8” - 1/4”, then assembled with no heads, toasted to the desired level and fully reassembled. Lotta work, but if you like fiddling with woodworking, why not try...... As crushday said above, you could also use oak adjuncts.

Yes, the barrel needs to be disassembled and each stave planed / sanded down to fresh wood, (have read that it’s around 1/8” - 1/4”, then assembled with no heads, toasted to the desired level and fully reassembled. Lotta work, but if you like fiddling with woodworking, why not try...... As crushday said above, you could also use oak adjuncts.

Timely posts, @Boatboy24 just dropped off a 23 liter barrel to me. It's apart and I started sanding. I have to leave to do a wine pick up and tasting so depending on how much I drink I may be back later on today. If not it will be tomorrow and I'll send pics.

Timely posts, @Boatboy24 just dropped off a 23 liter barrel to me. It's apart and I started sanding. I have to leave to do a wine pick up and tasting so depending on how much I drink I may be back later on today. If not it will be tomorrow and I'll send pics.

Ha! I didn't think you'd be able to wait until tomorrow to get started. :D

Latest posts

Back