Nutrient demand and hydration temperature for yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I always see nutrient demand and temperature tolerance listed on the spec page for yeasts. For instance, I'm about to make a white blend using the BA-11 strain. The nutrient demand is high, and the temperature tolerance is from 50-77 degrees Fahrenheit.

This may sound like a dumb question (I've always wondered this), but I assume you just add more nutrient. If that's the case, I don't see the preferred amount. As for temperature tolerance, that's for storage. What about water hydration temperature?

Hydration is standard 35C to 40C or 95F to 104F. Scott Labs has posted in the past a list of nutrient requirement multipliers for various yeast, low .75, med .9, and high 1.25. I haven't checked Scott Labs for recent updates, so the above numbers are from several years ago.

Hydration is standard 35C to 40C or 95F to 104F. Scott Labs has posted in the past a list of nutrient requirement multipliers for various yeast, low .75, med .9, and high 1.25. I haven't checked Scott Labs for recent updates, so the above numbers are from several years ago.
Thanks! Here's the link for the BA-11 strain on Scott Labs. I couldn't find anything about multipliers. I just want to make sure that I'm not overdoing it.

I always see nutrient demand and temperature tolerance listed on the spec page for yeasts. For instance, I'm about to make a blend using the BA-11 strain. The nutrient demand is high, and the temperature tolerance is from 50-77 degrees Fahrenheit.

This may sound like a dumb question (I've always wondered this), but I assume you just add more nutrient. If that's the case, I don't see the preferred amount. As for temperature tolerance, that's for storage. What about water hydration temperature?
Temperature tolerance is not storage, it's must fermentation temperature. And yes, add more nutrient for higher demand yeasts. Stickman had numbers from Scottlabs- here is an extract from their current handbook.
YEAST STRAIN CHOICE
Different yeast strains have different requirements and are classified as low, medium or high.
• Low nitrogen-requiring yeast need 7.5 ppm YAN per 1°Brix.
• Medium nitrogen-requiring yeast need 9 ppm YAN per 1°Brix.
• High nitrogen-requiring yeast need 12.5 ppm YAN per 1°Brix.
I'd recommend downloading and reading through the doc. It's one of my most helpful guides.

Latest posts

Back