Quantcast

Nutrient demand and hydration temperature for yeast

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

skyfire322

Reaction score
I always see nutrient demand and temperature tolerance listed on the spec page for yeasts. For instance, I'm about to make a white blend using the BA-11 strain. The nutrient demand is high, and the temperature tolerance is from 50-77 degrees Fahrenheit.

This may sound like a dumb question (I've always wondered this), but I assume you just add more nutrient. If that's the case, I don't see the preferred amount. As for temperature tolerance, that's for storage. What about water hydration temperature?

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Hydration is standard 35C to 40C or 95F to 104F. Scott Labs has posted in the past a list of nutrient requirement multipliers for various yeast, low .75, med .9, and high 1.25. I haven't checked Scott Labs for recent updates, so the above numbers are from several years ago.

skyfire322

Reaction score
Hydration is standard 35C to 40C or 95F to 104F. Scott Labs has posted in the past a list of nutrient requirement multipliers for various yeast, low .75, med .9, and high 1.25. I haven't checked Scott Labs for recent updates, so the above numbers are from several years ago.
Thanks! Here's the link for the BA-11 strain on Scott Labs. I couldn't find anything about multipliers. I just want to make sure that I'm not overdoing it.