Now what!?!?!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkrell

Junior
Reaction score
Ok folks,
I've enjoyed this forum immensely over the past year or so as I started planting my own little backyard vineyard. Last year, I purchased several grapes and muscadines and got them initially trained onto the trellis. I pruned during the winter and was awarded this spring with wonderful growth. I thought I was prepared for this year's growing season.

But that's the thing....SO MUCH GROWTH! I've got adequate space but these dang vines are going everywhere!!! So my question is, what type of pruning and training do I need to be doing to these vines DURING their second season. So far, I've just nipped the ends of the arms to keep them from tangling into their neighboring vines. But how much do I worry about the various shoots becoming tangled together and such? I've untangled some a few times but every time I look, things are knotted up again. Do I just ignore it or what? I thought the muscadines would be the worst about this but the bunch grapes are just as bad.

'm using a 5 ft high single wire trellis, for clarification, since my main focus was my muscadines and the bunch grapes were a curiosity.

one point to look at is at each bud juncture. sometimes there will be two spurs from one point. you can prune one of these off. also each spur should be at least 4 inches apart on the cordon. about the width of your fist. any side shoots of the trunk should be trimmed off. the end result should have a cordon on each side of the trunk on the trellis with spurs every four inches some what like a comb.

Yeah, I think I'm good on correct spacing. It's just the actual new growth just seems to be going everywhere from the spurs. Meaning, I guess I was expecting some sort of habit. But, I have several that are wrapping around each other or grabbing onto the cordon and wire and growing along it. I just want to check and see how much I should be "correcting" this behavior.

Back