Now this is Serious

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
What a terrible loss for that family. How sad. From reading the article I wonder if the thief’s destroyed the vines while stealing the grapes.

I wonder. I also searched for info about the vineyard and found that it's up for sale for
$1,395,000
That's a rip off it's worth maybe $400,000. The thieves were experienced I can tell you they probably did it before.

I suspect it was done by someone who knew their habits well "Friend" or a disgruntled former employee. That's a lots of grapes to use and selling them... well look for any unusual offers of grapes.

The way the place is in Virginia and having lived in (Northern VA (DC Metro Area) for 18 years, I've some folks develop an inflated view of their places. Around WInchester there are a number of smaller wineries there and it's also 'horse country' property prices there are totally crazy.

I suspect it was done by someone who knew their habits well "Friend" or a disgruntled former employee. That's a lots of grapes to use and selling them... well look for any unusual offers of grapes.

The way the place is in Virginia and having lived in (Northern VA (DC Metro Area) for 18 years, I've some folks develop an inflated view of their places. Around WInchester there are a number of smaller wineries there and it's also 'horse country' property prices there are totally crazy.

Insurance scam?

Can confirm this. I lived in Winchester and worked at a winery about 30 minutes away. The land prices were mind blowing. There were actually a few that went out of business while I lived there, so I have a feeling that's one of the reasons why.

Can confirm this. I lived in Winchester and worked at a winery about 30 minutes away. The land prices were mind blowing. There were actually a few that went out of business while I lived there, so I have a feeling that's one of the reasons why.

Yeah Between the population push westward from Fairfax county and the County Governments LOVE for those tax dollars ON TOP of the high prices for homes and land....
We bought a home in 1985 In Fairfax and sold it when we moved in 2004 The home almost quadrupled in price in that time. Made it possible to move to a much lower cost area and build our dream home.

Had it happen!! I kept a close eye on my first harvest of Cabs. OK, ready to pick tomorrow morning. Set up the equipment and went down to the vineyard to pick. Walked in and stared at the vines. Couldn't conceive why I wasn't looking at big fat clusters.........

Damned flock of quail or turkeys hit and ate literally every cluster. WAR!!!!

Had it happen!! I kept a close eye on my first harvest of Cabs. OK, ready to pick tomorrow morning. Set up the equipment and went down to the vineyard to pick. Walked in and stared at the vines. Couldn't conceive why I wasn't looking at big fat clusters.........

Heres what you do, put a net on them. Seriously. Its easy just go buy that netting stuff from the garden section and tie it down over the vines.

DON"T Buy your netting at ANY big box store! ( I worked for Lowe's for 9+ years but would not buy anything those stores carry - worthless.)

Get from a supplier of Commercial Farm supplies like this one http://www.plantra.com/BirdNetting.aspx

I bought more than I needed but it works.
Many frustrated birds and raccoons can attest to that.
Much easier to put up and take down as well. NOT cheap though.
I've had mine for 4-5 years now for my blueberry patches. It goes up when the first berries ripen and down when the berries left aren't worth the time to pick.

These guys don't like it either. You can see the netting beyond the tree. Quality but I would never waste another dime on that black junk that the big box stores foist off on gardeners. Rips, snags (even on itself) and rots in a couple of years. I've had that headache.

Deer by Netting.JPG

Last edited:
DON"T Buy your netting at ANY big box store! ( I worked for Lowe's for 9+ years but would not buy anything those stores carry - worthless.)

Get from a supplier of Commercial Farm supplies like this one http://www.plantra.com/BirdNetting.aspx

I bought more than I needed but it works.
Many frustrated birds and raccoons can attest to that.
Much easier to put up and take down as well. NOT cheap though.
I've had mine for 4-5 years now for my blueberry patches. It goes up when the first berries ripen and down when the berries left aren't worth the time to pick.
Lol I always buy at big box shops it's way cheaper.

Haven't seen any turkeys for quite a while and quail season opens soon. Lots of 20 ga shells and quail goes well for dinner with a nice glass of wine. This crop is still pretty green and they haven't approached it yet.

Turkeys make good mulch. They were gone from our area and a few genus hunters thought it would be a good idea to reintroduce them. Now fish and game consider them feral. They are a nuisance everywhere, towns and agricultural areas are having issues with them as the predators that keep them in check haven't kept up with the population growth. The city of eugene has passed a law against feeding them. The toms are getting aggressive in town and its just a matter of time before a child is hurt by one. Hopfully that will change the way the liberal majority feels about exterminating them. And they do like grapes.

Some folks like gamey meat. I do not.
And for the record, if you see me eating fish, we are going to need more wood for the signal fire.

Some folks like gamey meat. I do not.
And for the record, if you see me eating fish, we are going to need more wood for the signal fire.
Ya, I hear ya. I'm an avid bird hunter and with duck and goose you need to get a little creative (read: alot of wine) to make it palatable. Grouse and pheasant is a different story. Throw either in a crock pot with some cream of chic, wild rice, onion and celery....man, it's time to go hunting again!

Same story at a winery in the Finger Lakes. They monitored a block of Vignoles closely to get the pick date just right. The owner checked the block one afternoon, coordinated the pick for the next morning and came out to find a nearly empty field. Turkeys had come through and in one evening cleaned them out. Vintages from that vineyard are now known as "Turkey Run Vignoles".

Latest posts

Back